Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Power
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 30, 2009 2:49:25 AM

New built Computer won't power on?
I need some help diagnosing a problem on my computer. Here's the problem. I built a new computer specs

Antec 550W Truepower
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P
Phenom II X4 955 BE Stock Cooler
HIS Radeon HD 4890
OCZ Reaper 2x2gb 1066 Ram
Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb
1 random DVD drive
Silverstone fulltower case

So here's the problem I plugged everything in, and it wouldn't power on. i double checked all the cables, the 2x12 on MB and the 2x4
The power would NOT come on, not even budge like NOTHING happen. I double checked the cables, the switch behind power button even the wall jack.
Atfirst i was using a Thermaltake 500W but that one was 3 years old so i figured i should replace it. i did a check to make sure 550W was enough according to a website and it passed saying i would only need 350W. I replaced it and still didn't work. SO i figured it was motherboard, i went out to buy a new one and THAT DIDN"T work. the comp won't budge not even fans spinning. i tried the computer case connectors and those are working correctly. the power supply works i tested by connecting the circuit via green/black wires. I tested the GPU and the RAM and that's not the problem. SO what could be the problem!?! Could the CPU be DOA?

More about : built computer power

August 30, 2009 3:00:49 AM

n4rumi4 said:
New built Computer won't power on?
I need some help diagnosing a problem on my computer. Here's the problem. I built a new computer specs

Antec 550W Truepower
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P
Phenom II X4 955 BE Stock Cooler
HIS Radeon HD 4890
OCZ Reaper 2x2gb 1066 Ram
Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb
1 random DVD drive
Silverstone fulltower case

So here's the problem I plugged everything in, and it wouldn't power on. i double checked all the cables, the 2x12 on MB and the 2x4
The power would NOT come on, not even budge like NOTHING happen. I double checked the cables, the switch behind power button even the wall jack.
Atfirst i was using a Thermaltake 500W but that one was 3 years old so i figured i should replace it. i did a check to make sure 550W was enough according to a website and it passed saying i would only need 350W. I replaced it and still didn't work. SO i figured it was motherboard, i went out to buy a new one and THAT DIDN"T work. the comp won't budge not even fans spinning. i tried the computer case connectors and those are working correctly. the power supply works i tested by connecting the circuit via green/black wires. I tested the GPU and the RAM and that's not the problem. SO what could be the problem!?! Could the CPU be DOA?

i've tried the http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
August 30, 2009 3:13:35 AM

Try one stick of ram and set the voltage and timings to specs. Your ram needs 2.1v and the mobo defaults it to 1.8, using one stick usually lets you in bios so you can manually set it.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 30, 2009 3:26:06 AM

Not sure that will work. OP says no power fans don't spin up, nothing.

It sounds like the PSU checks out ok, did you test with a multimeter?

One thing that may occur is the factory will ship with the PSU set to 210V instead of 115V, or vice versa if you're in UK. Check that.

Next you should double check the pin assignment on the front panel connectors. The manuals are often written originally in another language and I have had quite a few motherboards that did NOT have the same pin assignment as the manual stated. I would start there because in my experience its a pretty common occurrence.

I recommend if you are sure the PSU is good and configured correctly, take everything apart. Check to make sure an errant screw did not make it under the mobo.
Then add one component at a time, and power on to see if any fans spin up. Try case + PSU+ mobo first.
If still stumped, check back after you tried that.

August 30, 2009 3:35:55 AM

Quote:
Next you should double check the pin assignment on the front panel connectors. The manuals are often written originally in another language and I have had quite a few motherboards that did NOT have the same pin assignment as the manual stated. I would start there because in my experience its a pretty common occurrence.

I recommend if you are sure the PSU is good and configured correctly, take everything apart. Check to make sure an errant screw did not make it under the mobo.
Then add one component at a time, and power on to see if any fans spin up. Try case + PSU+ mobo first.
If still stumped, check back after you tried that.

Exactly
August 30, 2009 3:50:40 AM

+1 for making sure that the ram voltage is correct. when i built my phenom9500, msi k9a2 platinum mobo and ocz 2.1v ram, this was the exact problem i was having. went out and bought cheap 1gb stick of correct ram at microcenter, booted, changed the voltage in bios and installed ocz ram.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 30, 2009 4:19:28 AM

yes, but did you have no power whatsoever?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 30, 2009 6:38:56 AM

No power whatsoever, im going to try the Mobo, PSU, and case combo
August 30, 2009 3:23:43 PM

did you try open bench (not in case) to get rid of possible shorts
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2009 8:08:09 AM

One of the USB ports was damaged on the case and apparently shorted. This kept the entire system from booting/posting. Removing the broken USB header cable from the motherboard solved this. There is at least one more pair of working USB ports, so the case is not without USB. Problem is now fixed.

Thanks all for helping :D 
!