Random crashing in 3D apps (Radeon 4850)

Trilbo

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hiya

Im having quite a frustrating time at the moment trying to diagnose my crashes.

System;

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 OC'd @ 3ghz
MB = GA-EX38-DS4
4 gig RAM
2x Sapphire HD4850 in X-fire
WinXP 64bit

The problem started for me a few weeks ago. While playing Darfall my screen would just go blank, eventually reading "No signal" and the computer became unresponsive. After this happens several times I start getting random crashing outside the game and eventually the screen simple wouldn't respond after a reboot. I immeditaly assumed that my vid card was overheating ( at this point i was using a single Radeon 4870) but checking the catalyst control center revealed the GPU was well within working temp ( below 50dc). I figured it must of been my vid card in some fashion because the system itself wasn't crashing ( no .DMP created) and memtest reported no issues.
So, rather rashly, I just assumed the card was kaput. I picked up the 2x 4850 and everything seemed to be fine until a day after installing them the crashes started again.
After concluding that it probably wasn't the vid card ( same crashes with both card setups) I remembered that about 2 weeks earlier I installed a new PSU ( Antec ATX TruePower 750W Blue) to replace my old 650 watt which had a broken fan. This is the only component in my computer that has changed before the crashes started so I'm looking at it as a prime suspect ( defective?).

Few things to note;

- drivers are all updated...everything
- My CPU temp is fine. 38 idle and rarely getting over 45 at full load ( good fan).
- tried switching around the PSU cables in case there was some bad power coming through, no luck.
- I get crashes in other games not just Darkfall
- Have turned my CPU to default settings/tried running without Xfire...same problem.

I'm pretty much out of ideas. Contemplating returning the PSU or installing vista/win7 as my only other options.

Any help would be mucho mucho appreciated. :cry:

EDIT: Ok this thread seems to imply these crashes may be the result of new drivers or windows update. Sucks.

jabawaba

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Exit out of catylist control center then unistall it. Use standalone drivers.
I had the exact problem.
Monitor turning black with yellow light, then a reboot?
Yeah its a nuisance.

I now use expert tool ati to monitor fan speeds and such.

See if this doesnt help you.
It did me :hello:

TRENDING THREADS