Sign in with
Your question

HP start-up problems

Last response: in Motherboards
February 18, 2010 2:16:32 PM

I have an HP Pavilion A320N with an ASUS A7N8X-LA motherboard. When I turn on the PC it starts to boot for a few seconds then shuts down and tries to restart over and over. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? I already tried a new power supply and a new hard drive, neither of which cured the problem.

More about : start problems

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b α HP
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 18, 2010 3:44:34 PM

Is this a recent motherboard changeover? If so, you may need to format and reinstall your hp copy of windows. If you didn't back it up first, you may have to contact hp for help or use a regular copy of windows to start over. The other issue could be a bad memory stick, but a software or board problem is more likely.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b α HP
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 18, 2010 6:16:21 PM

Also try using just the new drive. Use the manufacturer's software to prep it. If your old drive is ide and you want to use both together, change the jumper to the "slave" position. I use maxblast 5 to prep maxtor or seagate drives. After you select your newer drive as the boot device, you can reboot with your windows cd or dvd and do a fresh installation.
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2010 6:31:21 AM

Hello,
I have the same problem, did you receive any answers that worked?
m
l
March 14, 2010 3:03:14 AM

I discovered that the problem was the power button. Since nothing else seemed to work, as soon as the PC started to boot, I pulled the power button wires from the motherboard and it continued to boot. Since I could not find a replacement power switch anywhere on the net (could only find a new front bezel which includes the power button) I went to Radio Shack and bought a momentary ON switch and cut the red power wire leading from the switch and soldered it to the new switch. Now to boot the PC I have to push the new switch on, then the power switch, then release the new switch. I know this is crude but it works fine now. I hope this helps you DaveJudy39
m
l
March 14, 2010 3:05:31 AM

DaveJudy39 said:
Hello,
I have the same problem, did you receive any answers that worked?

I discovered that the problem was the power button. Since nothing else seemed to work, as soon as the PC started to boot, I pulled the power button wires from the motherboard and it continued to boot. Since I could not find a replacement power switch anywhere on the net (could only find a new front bezel which includes the power button) I went to Radio Shack and bought a momentary ON switch and cut the red power wire leading from the switch and soldered it to the new switch. Now to boot the PC I have to push the new switch on, then the power switch, then release the new switch. I know this is crude but it works fine now. I hope this helps you DaveJudy39
m
l
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2010 9:50:40 PM

I had the same problem! I have an HP pavilion dv6700. Ive since read that these computers have been recalled, but im well past the warranty coverage. But my computer was running beautifully and it did this a couple times before, but would start up again after a while. well one night it stopped coming back on. would just keep doing this startup, instantly shut down crap. but i just tried something that worked! I noticed during many combinations disconnecting battery/ac sessions that if you press buttons, the lights will actually stay on, but there is no fan and nothing else happened. well after a couple weeks of giving up, i tried it again. the battery was out, just ac plugged in. when it flashed on, i pressed escape before it turned off so the lights stayed on. then i attached the battery. this time i held down the power button to turn it off, instead of just unplugging and giving up. so the computer shut down, and when i turned it back on, it worked! and right after i come on here and posted this. I'm too scared to shut it off and try it again, but hopefully this will work from here on out, and help you as well.
creekjam
m
l
!