Sign in with
Your question

PMA Update Failure

Last response: in Storage
June 22, 2011 1:28:06 PM

Hey guys, I just recently bought 100 Sony AccuCORE DVD-R DVDs to backup stuff. Never have i had this error before and it comes up randomly. I have already burned about 25 - 30 DVDs out of which i have had to discard 6 as they were rendered useless after the "PMA Update Failure" error. I have updated the firmware to the latest one (TN03) and it still isn't helping. I don't run any applications in the background when i am burning. The weird thing is, after i reboot my computer, it starts working fine. I also tried burning another disk right after a disk gave me the error and i had to discard two DVDs instead of one :-/ . I am using an LG GH22NS50. I also have the log but don't know how to attach it here. If anyone needs to see the log, please also tell me how to attach it.

UPDATE
I googled this error and found that apparently many people are having this problem on different brands of drives and media. So it cannot be singled down to either of them.
Also i found a lot of people suggesting that i should try out ImgBurn, which i did and it burned a DVD without a hitch. But it crapped on the next DVD giving the same error. So again i cannot single out the software as the problem. I also have saved the ImgBurn Logs which i will put up if needed and when i find out HOW TO.

More about : pma update failure

June 23, 2011 6:50:09 AM

yup, that's the firmware i have. Only i downloaded it from LG site and not firmware HQ. DMA settings are on AUTO in the bios. I liked Imgburn better than Nero but the problem still persists. Did a BIOS update too, let's see if that works out in any way. Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
June 23, 2011 12:38:37 PM

No use. i got a PMA Update Failure on the first disk i tried to burn today @ 16x. But as you said, i tried it at 4x, though REALLY slow, it seems to be working. Which kind of defeats the point of me having a 22x SATA DVD writer and 16x capable media :-/ . Currently using my original copy of Nero 7 Essentials that came with my previous burner (Sony DRU 190A)
m
l
a c 180 G Storage
June 23, 2011 1:45:23 PM

Do you have the latest chipset ?
m
l
a c 180 G Storage
June 23, 2011 1:46:27 PM

This can also be caused by a defective drive !
m
l
June 23, 2011 2:48:22 PM

Full Configuration :
1 VIP 750W PSU
AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE
ASUS M4A78T-E Motherboard
1 DELL 1909W Widescreen LCD
1 x 1GB Zotac GeForce 9800GT
1 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
2 x 2GB Transcend Jet Ram
1 x DVD Burner LG GH22NS50
1 Linksys Wireless LAN Card

Check this out. I mistakenly did not set write speed on Nero 7 essentials to 4x and it started writing on 18x to a 16x DVD-R. Last time that happened the DVD turned out to be useless. This time around everything works fine. Now I am really confused.

About DVD Burner being faulty :
been just about 6 - 8 months i got this one. Have written a couple of DVDs since then. Now i am doing a full backup with 100 DVDs. Reads fine. USED TO write fine. Moreover the problem is even if i do get it to support this error appears randomly. They will probably just blow me off saying there's nothing wrong. Not a lot of good techies here in India.
m
l
a c 180 G Storage
June 23, 2011 2:50:30 PM

I never author my dvd's over 4x to avoid errors !

m
l
June 23, 2011 4:03:34 PM

any other ideas as to what might be going wrong ? Upon searching i found few people who had replaced the DVD Burner and were still getting the same error. Since PMA = Program Memory Area, and on other forums read that it could mean RAM problems, i also ran memtest86+ & Windows 7 Inbuilt Memory Diagnostic Tool (Extended Test) with no errors, also my RAM latencies match if that offers any comfort. No answers as of yet for this problem on other forums as well.
m
l
!