3-Way SLI or Quad-SLI?

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Hi,

I'm about to sell my old computer and am looking to upgrade to an i7 machine running either 3x GTX 285 or 2x GTX295. I have been browsing the site and found the results are pretty similar, so it might not come down to performance only. Which settup would have better cooling and airflorw in a case (CoolerMaster HAF 922)?

Also, I'm considering removing my PSU from my old system and put in a cheaper PSU (what would be the minimum I would need for a Q6600 and 8800GT SLI config?). Then I could reuse my old Gigabyte Osin GT All Solid 800W for the new i7 rig....Any thoughts on whether the 800W would be enough for the 3-SLI or 4-SLI setup? or should I just leave the 800W in the old system and get a new 1000W for the i7?

This is rather urgent because my firend wants to buy it in a few days time. Otherwise, once i've sold the old rig I'm gonna hold off the upgrade for a while, hopefully
USB 3.0 mobos will be out soon. Also, the new ATI 58XX cards are bound to force prices down, and maybe Nvidia can launch a new card soon.
Thx for ur thoughts!! and any advices are appreciated :p

Solution

It's one thing to only have to power a rig for the short time it takes to gather the info for an article but a different matter to power the same rig for any great length of time i.e weeks, months or even years and whilst I like Corsair PSU's as much as the next guy I have my doubts as to how long an 850w could run the 2x 295's or 3x280's before showing signs of fatigue.

c_schwab

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I would wait until the 5870's come out. They should be close to a 295's performance and a bit cheaper. As for the psu, a 600 watt should be alright for your old rig. I have heard that Nvidia will release some revamped gt200 cards soon to bridge the gap to gt300.

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
sweet thx, I had a look but somehow i doupt I really need 1200W, I checked the config TOMs used to do their benches of 3-280's and 2-295's and they only used a coolermaster 850W...Also, i few ppl have mentioned that i7's need a "modular" or "true-power" PSU, is that true??

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
you can't go 4 way 285 as there isn't enough space and slots on mobos...the only way to go quad is with the X2 boards... Yeah so im not neccesarily plaining on getting current gen cards, but even though, i js want to know if i can use an 800W PSU for any SLI config wheather its GT200 series or next gen

It's one thing to only have to power a rig for the short time it takes to gather the info for an article but a different matter to power the same rig for any great length of time i.e weeks, months or even years and whilst I like Corsair PSU's as much as the next guy I have my doubts as to how long an 850w could run the 2x 295's or 3x280's before showing signs of fatigue.

Solution
With a modular PSU you can unplug the unused leads from the PSU housing itself, which can aid in keeping things tidy but some argue that because the leads are not permanently attached the amperage carrying ability is compromised whereas with a true - power and it's permanently soldered leads no amps are lost, I think it's cobblers personally and to that end I have no problem with using a Corsair modular PSU in each of my rigs.