Maxtor One-Touch 11 Ext Drive Corrupted and Unreadable

glpopek

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hello,
we had a storm roll through last night, and this morning, my maxtor one touch 11 external hard drive is now corrupted and unreadable. I shutdown the desktop and brought it back up but the F-drive (maxtor) status remains the same. I disconnected the Maxtor and let it sit for a few minutes and then plugged it back in, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Is the drive seen by the system? Try it on another computer?

There are products that will attempt to fix things http://www.ptdd.com/

You may have some luck if you take the drive out of the enclosure and plug it into the computer directly, especially if the drive is not seen by the computer as a drive letter.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

If both your computer and the backup drive were on during the storm, check both out.

First check the BIOS to see if it sees the Maxtor properly.

Then in Disk Management, see if the OS recognizes the Maxtor/USB device. In the lower graphical area, check Drive Status to see if it see a Disk1, or 2, Basic, and if Online. Then below the blue band in the Volume Status section, see if it recognizes the VolumeLabel, Drive letter, size, NTFS, and if Healthy.

If not, then do the same thing with it out of the ext drive enclosure to see if the enclosure PCB was fried, or if it is a Drive problem.

If it is the Drive itself, then you can interrogate the drive and volume status from the command line, or go to a data recovery program to attempt to recover the disk partition's data