Boot from CD fails.

puncstorta

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Windows xp home edition
History:
1. Swallowed a virus.
2. C drive disappeared: empty desktop and start menu. Only internet and outlook express appeared in start menu.
3. I tried to do a windows reinstall. (I did in the past several times with success.) System couldn't boot from cd but could read cd after logging on windows. So I did an install and created new xp on top of the old one.
4. I could not delete partition since the failure of booting from cd.
5. I installed a data recovery program and I could do a back up on dvd. Miracle really. :) (Took 14 hours...)
6. Computer works but only on the new xp and still can't boot from cd in order to get rid of partition.
7. I changed boot order in BIOS. Don't help. When I try to boot from cd, monitor has a soft flash for a second (from black to grey, like it tries to boot from cd) but then it launches windows.
When I log on I receive the following error message:
"Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\Tools\DelFolders.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search." This doesn't harm, I just close it.

Any suggestion how to make pc boot from cd to get rid of partition and do a complete windows reinstall? Thanks for any help.

Tried changing boot seq and booting from CD in Safe Mode ?
Try installing to a new HD ?