conure

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Hey guys,

I just passed 10 runs on maximum intel burn test and am about to try out prime95 for 24 hours, but on my core i5 760 @4ghz if I used a multiplier of 19 it crashed, if I used 21 it crashed, but 20 was completely stable - also, if I up my voltage above 1.34 my pc is actually less stable and takes longer to complete an IBT cycle...Any idea why that is? thanks

conure

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Thanks for your reply! Temp is 55oC after 14 hours Prime small ffts, and it was about 57o9 after 20 runs of intel burn test. I have a well ventilated case with corsair H60 watercooling. Also, I have 1600mhz rated ram running on a 1333mhx rated mobo, however the mobo advertises it has an OC to 1600mhz so I don't think there is a problem there? Current ram speed is about 1560mhz and is cool to the touch. Could it be a cpu quirk that it simply 'likes' to run on a certain multiplier?

conure

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
To further clarify I have a gigabyte H55M mobo and Corsair ram rated for 1600mhz. Voltage is 1.31 but drops to around 1.23 on max load. Any higher on the volts and the cpu performs the iBT run takes 200 seconds rather than 90, though interestingly the cpu still performs roughly 55gigaflops....I am confused :)

CPUs are complex systems (understatement of the century!), and will have odd problems with specific frequencies and voltages. There will be specific frequency and voltage 'holes' that are unstable, but if you move past them things work out again. It is normal, just be careful because you never know what is a 'hole' and what is simply unhealthy and can fry the system until after you have done it.
go check overclockers.net, they had an interesting thread on this I am sure you could look up

conure

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Thanks for your reply Caeden - I've done a lot of reading and will try to find that thread. The cpu seems rock solid at 3.9ghz and has now run 14 hours of small ffts @ 56oC at a voltage of 1.23 on load. As I am within both the temp and voltage limits do you think I can presume all is well?

conure

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Hey guys,

Just another quick one. I had complete stability during small FFTs and IBT, and then a crash on the Blend test within one minute. I went into my BIOS, dropped my overall CPU clock to 3.8ghz (more than enough for what I need, I'm not a competitive OCer) and upped my DRAM voltage from 1.5v stock, to 1.560v

Anyway, blend has been running for half an hour now...My question is, is my 1600mhz rated ram running at about 1500mhz safe at 1.560, or will that burn it out?
(added)

I've just looked at my RAM. It's Mushkin Pc3-12800, timings 9-9-9-24, 1.5v Mushkin Blackline Enhanced.

As I said before, the RAM is rated for 1600mhz, the MOBO is rated for 1333mhz however the mobo has an optional OC setting of 1600mhz so I presume it's all fine.

Is it worth upping the memory voltage to 1.56?

Very confused and it's annoying as I see so close!

Thanks

Thanks

If you are only running 56*c then you are probably fine.
According to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128429
You should have no problems running DDR3 1600 as it is standard for the board (maybe the link is to a revised board?). At any rate, this looks more like a regular home use board, not an OC board. enjoy what OC you can get, but it is likely the parts on the board itself causing you troubles, not the ram or proc.

conure

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Hey Caedenv,

Thanks very much for your help. I think you're right about the MOBO, it was a cheap but well reviewed one. this is my exact model.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/Intel+1156+H55/Gigabyte+GA-H55M-S2+Intel+H55+(Socket+1156)+DDR3+Motherboard+?productId=41496

Could you please check over my "vitals" to check if anything is out of the ordinary? As it's my first time, although I've read a lot I'd love for somebody to check my numbers over to make sure I've not done something really stupid. Figures are...

CPU Multiplier = 20
BCLK 190 = 3.8ghz

System memory multiplier 8.0
Uncore Frequency 3040mhz
Uncore clock ratio 16x
QPI link speed 6.08ghz

Memory frequency 1582 @ 1.5v

Dynamic Vcore +160 on stock which is 1.1v, so voltage before load is 1.312, on load it's about 2.3/4

QPI/vtt voltag stock 1.100v is increased to 1.170 (this solved my memory issue, presumable because this voltage is directly related to memory!)

PCH @ stock 1.050

DRAM voltage stock @ 1.5v

So they're my PCs stats, does anything look out of the ordinary or dangerous for my PC? I don't believe 3.8ghz is considered a really extreme OC on this chip is it? I'd rather err on the side of safety and I'm very happy with 3.8.

So, is my PC going to explode or can I relax?

Again, thanks ever so much for your help - it's great to be a beginner and have support of experts! Hopefully one day I'll be able to confidently help out a newbie too :)

Luke

lol, well I am no expert on overclocking, I am more into making things silent but powerful. But I know good hardware when I see it. Your board is good (solid caps, good spacing of parts, etc), it just is not made for OCing (small/few mosfets, no heat-sinks, etc). As far as numbers go they look ok to me for what I know, but someone else would be able to tell more specific advice.