My computer don't start with new VGA

angelotinti

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I bought a new video card and installed it on my computer.
Before I had a HD2600XT Sapp 256mb, now I bought this HD5770 Vapor-X Sapp 1GB.

With the new video card I have no video signal.

Posted in the motherboard because I tested my new video card in another PC and it worked.

So I guess that could be some compatibility issue or problem the BIOS setup.

Someone help me?

angelotinti

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
pw500tuspc_03_h.JPG

I can't find any substantive information on it, but that PSU looks like an old-design generic. It probably isn't good for more than 80% of its label. Still, just to boot up, a HD5770 should be using very little power. Does this PSU have a PCIE power cable, and is it plugged into your GPU?

angelotinti

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I tested the card in a weaker PSU (other computer). And it worked. For this reason, I thought it is problem with the motherboard. Or have some other device that may be incompatible with the VGA?

Settings in the BIOS perhaps?

angelotinti

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
The other PSU brand 7A to 12v. It is a generic model of PSU.
My motherboard don't has onboard video.

As far as I know, to boot the HD 5770 uses little power.
I connected the power cable six pins in two cases.

So I imagine some sort of incompatibility with some other peripheral, probably the motherboard.

I've done the bios update. (Asus M2A-MVP, build 511)

It's not a direct comparison between the two different systems. The different hardware have different power requirements.

I've had a similar situation recently. I just built a computer for a friend. I put the exact same model PSU in his system, as is in one of my backup PCs. I got him a 4770. The 430w Thermaltake in my backup PC was able to power the card. However, when I put the card in his system, I got nothing but spinning fans. He's been using my 8400gs in the mean time. I just recently ordered the 450w Corsair that has more amps on the 12v rail. Worked like a charm.

This is the Corsair PSU that I ended up getting for my friend's system. Notice the wattage isn't much different than yours. However, take a look at the amps on the 12v rail.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

angelotinti

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I tried using the PSU from a friend of mine and did not work.
I put the PSU it on my PC and nothing.

Then tested it with my video card in his PC, the same PSU, and it worked.

My build and his build are similar.

As jtt283 himself said, the 5770 starts with a low power consumption.

I see that the problem is not with the PSU.

The hardware in the two builds may be similar, but they were similar in my example above as well.

I see a couple options. You can try a different PCIe video card in that slot, to verify the slot is still good. Or, you can get your hands on a beefier PSU (something with more than 7amps on the 12v) :)

angelotinti

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
The slot works because before buying the 5770 I had a 2600.
And the PSU I used to test my video card in 2 PCs (I can't remember the manufacturer) had 22amps to 12v.

I don't know what to do. I'll try to think of something...