Format & Reload Windows

miked350

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
My situation is this. I have a laptop with XP Pro OEM. From what I have read I not only need an OEM disk but also the matching service pack(SP1,SP2,or,SP3). The laptop shows to be SP3, but I think it has been updated from a previous version SP1 or SP2. I have two questions.

1. How can I tell what version XP Pro I have on the laptop?
2. If my XP Pro SP1 cd doesn't match, can I still use it, and how?

Thanks

miked350

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
My problem is I have a laptop with Windows XP Pro SP?. I don't know what Windows disk I need to use with that license. The laptop systems properties reads service pack 3 but I think it has been updated from a previous service pack. I do have a Win XP Pro SP1 install disk. I would like to know if I can use that disk.

miked350

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I am trying to find out if the service pack makes a differences. I don't know what the laptop service pack started out as. I will repeat I have a SP1 disk. I don't know if I can use it on the laptop or not.

For starters, ignore poiuyt's post and don't click his .gif link - he won't be here much longer.

PhilFrisbie's point was that you couldn't put any old XP disk into your laptop if it's already installed elsewhere or you'll have activation problems. You an install a system with SP1 and leap straight to SP3 and 125 subsequent updates as soon as you get the drivers together to get online.

If the laptop was an OEM installation, you may have a recovery partition that will take it back to factory settings with no lost driver issues. What I can't understand is you say in Post #1 that "the laptop shows SP3". If you can see Control Panel, why reinstall?