GTX 260 Problem in Windows 7 64 Bit

Lumpyyyyy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I am having a problem with my EVGA GTX 260 in Windows 7 64 bit. It works correctly and everything but it has an terribly low 3Dmark score and can barely even run the tests. Is this a cause of it being Windows 7? Something else? I am not sure. System specs below. Someone let me know if they have run into a similar problem.

CPU: i7 920
RAM: 6GB 1600 MHz 7-7-7-24 Timing
HDD: 1 x 1.5 TB Seagate
1 x 1 TB Hitachi
Video Card: 1 GTX 260 Superclocked
Power Supply: 700 Watt PC Power and Cooling
Motherboard: EVGA SLI LE

Please let me know anything you can think of.

Solution
Sounds like the GPU is either overheating very quickly, doesn't have the power it needs, or is defective.

What IS your 3dMark06 score off chance?

And how is Windows 7 rating the video card?

This is the driver you want to install for Windows 7 64bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_191.07_whql.html

If your HDD is reading/writing very slow, I would also uninstall and reinstall the latest Chipset drivers for your motherboard. That could be part of your problem. Is this your motherboard?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/evga-x58-sli-le.html

Make sure your video card is installed in Slot 17

layout_small.jpg

Lumpyyyyy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Yep, I installed the card exactly as both the manuals said and it is installed at PCIE 2.0 x16 Slot. I have downloaded the drivers and installed them from EVGA's website.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Go here:http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Always download them straight from the source.

If this still doesn't work (or is the same version you have), then try downloading previous drivers and see if that changes anything. Sometimes drivers can break compatibility with certain apps.

Also, why exactly do you only quote 3dMark? Have you run any other games? If this is the only program that is giving you problems, then by all means, your system is fine. Run a couple of games, too, and see where that gets you.

Good luck.

Lumpyyyyy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I don't have any games with it right now, so I figured that I would run some benchmarks. It failed both the Passmark, 3DMark Vantage, and even Windows is knocking it with its system rating (which I know doesn't mean much, it is still a great card, so I'm not sure of that problem)

Lumpyyyyy

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah, that's what I thought. so I switched power connectors, and no luck. I am so frustrated and have no idea as to what it could be. Any thoughts from anyone? Could this be related to the mobo, because i noticed the HDDs are reading and writing pretty slow as well, or that could also be a PSU problem. Is there any way to check these?

Also, tried to run Cryostasis (came free with card) and couldn't due to video lagging and being choppy.

finallife0001

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Check the temperature of the Video card.
Check the temperature of the Northbridge.
More powerful power supply or one which is sli ready.
1001 W PSU are the best.
Internal case cooling, need fans which run at AT LEAST 150 CFM for these new computers with like, mega o.c'd processors.
Spyware maybe, go to lavasoftusa.com and download free ad-aware, its amazing.
Your monitor itself might not be able to support this intense new graphics card.

MAKE SURE ITS THE X64 VERSION OF THE DRIVER.

I had the mistake of trying to install an x86 version of my video card driver when I installed Win7x64
Bigger HDDs like what you have might usually be a little slower at first, try defragging them. But I personally have a 10.000 rpm hdd on my baby for my programs, and 4x500gb WD HDD for all my storage.

Try looking into all of this, and the rpm of your hdds, it does make a difference.

Good luck m8

Sounds like the GPU is either overheating very quickly, doesn't have the power it needs, or is defective.

What IS your 3dMark06 score off chance?

And how is Windows 7 rating the video card?

This is the driver you want to install for Windows 7 64bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_191.07_whql.html

If your HDD is reading/writing very slow, I would also uninstall and reinstall the latest Chipset drivers for your motherboard. That could be part of your problem. Is this your motherboard?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/evga-x58-sli-le.html

Make sure your video card is installed in Slot 17

layout_small.jpg

Solution

Ron23

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
definitely the driver i tried 3dmark vantage before installing them and my score was horrible but i got a 3000 point gain after getting the drivers in so it could be that you havent gotten to the lastest ones yet?

jrthom444

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Hi,

Glad to hear i'm not the only one having problems. My setup is pretty close to yours, and i'm getting slammed on gpu performance. Trying old drivers now. I have 2 cards by the way. both individually are performing terribly on windows 7. I might try to install vista and see if that is the issue.

Let me know if you fix it.

Thanks