Sign in with
Your question

Cpu so noisy and hot

Last response: in CPUs
November 21, 2009 2:05:42 PM

why my CPU (pentium D 2.8G ) fan always so noisy even when start up windows. Also my cpu temp so hot(50-60ºc)even after i change zalman fan.Is it normal temperatures for my cpu. How i can settle this problem

More about : cpu noisy hot

a b à CPUs
November 21, 2009 3:17:04 PM

That is a usual problem with the Pentium Ds they overheat and need alot of cooling

NO that is not normal temps that is hot

only permanent solution get a new proc that isn't a Pentium D or get a better fan than the Zalman but that will end being a waste of money
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2009 11:10:49 PM

The Zalman might be a good enough heatsink, but are you sure the case has good enough ventilation to take advantage of it? Also, the thermal paste might have been incorrectly applied... try remounting the heatsink.
m
l
Related resources
a c 99 à CPUs
November 22, 2009 5:13:09 PM

chis said:
why my CPU (pentium D 2.8G ) fan always so noisy even when start up windows. Also my cpu temp so hot(50-60ºc)even after i change zalman fan.Is it normal temperatures for my cpu. How i can settle this problem

The Pentium Ds weren't exactly the most efficient CPUs out there, but they aren't really any hotter than many other modern CPUs. A 2.8 GHz Pentium D throws off either 110 watts (Pentium D 820) or 95 watts (Pentium D 915/920.) That's right in line with the current quad-core CPUs right now; in fact the Core i7 920 and Phenom II X4 965 that are so popular around here are rated at 130 watts and 125-140 watts, respectively. 50-60 C is pretty warm for a CPU and with a decent aftermarket heatsink like most Zalman units, cooling a Pentium D shouldn't be a problem. I would expect those kinds of temps from a stock Pentium D heatsink, though. I wonder if your case has sufficient ventilation, your heatsink is fully seated on the CPU, and that you properly applied thermal grease to the bottom of the heatsink. Those would all cause a CPU with a sufficient heatsink to still run overly warm.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2009 9:54:16 PM

+1 MU_Engineer
m
l
November 23, 2009 7:47:12 PM

Well I have a Pentium D 820 2.8 Ghz CPU, it also ran about 48 degrees on average, then fan died, had another one and CPU went to 60 degrees. I decided to get a better fan and bought an OCZ Vendetta 92mm fan for less then $40 canadian. Well I tell you what a difference, my average temperature is 33 degrees and under big load about 44 degrees. I even was able to OC the CPU to 3.7 Ghz on 1066 FSB, only a 2 degree difference with no voltage change. Great fan
m
l
!