Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can you cut and expand a closed loop system?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 7, 2011 9:26:15 AM

Hi, am I a genius or an idiot?

What's to stop me from buying a Corsair H80, a GPU block, some tubing and connectors for about $200 as opposed to building from scratch for around $400?

Do you think the pump will be able to handle the extra? I'm fairly certain the fans and rad will be sufficient and also that's all my case would fit.

It's going to be for an i5 2500k and a single 560ti. Maybe two 560tis later.

I realise it would void the H80 warranty but at half the price it would be worth the risk.

Any thoughts?

More about : cut expand closed loop system

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 10:17:12 AM

Pump shouldn't have a problem with a single gpu block, 2 might be a different story.
Nothing to stop you, it's a choice you'll need make on your own.
Are you willing to suffer the loss if it doesn't live up to your expectations or work at all after modification ?

My H50 is still doing a decent job of keeping the overclocked Q9650 and GTX260 in my secondary system in check. It cost me less than $15 when I got it, had no problem deciding to modify it.
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 12:22:30 PM

You can easily mod a cooler like that with some work, but you could also get a better pump/res in one of XSPC's combos like the X2O 450 or 750.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10038/ex-res-161/XSPC...

The main thing I'd be concerned about is rad space. You're looking at a 2x120mm radiator to adequately cool a high-end GPU.
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2011 3:00:01 PM

Just remember that you're going to be mixing copper blocks with an aluminum radiator (that H80). That means you'll need to add a corrosion blocker (glycol mixture) to your water.
m
l
a c 331 K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 3:58:38 PM

Running a CPU and GPU on a single 120mm rad? 95w + 170w at 100% load.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 6:24:36 PM

d0gr0ck said:
Just remember that you're going to be mixing copper blocks with an aluminum radiator (that H80). That means you'll need to add a corrosion blocker (glycol mixture) to your water.

Good point - forgot about that H60 teardown that was floating around here.
m
l
November 7, 2011 9:23:41 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

Would the H80 and it's double thick rad and it's two fans not be almost as good as a 120x240? I can't fit anything else in my case and I don't plan on clocking the cpu past 4ghz.

This copper vs aluminium thing worries me though. I was going to buy a bottle of special coolant like coolance or similar. Would that not do the trick?

My main goal is to actually keep the noise down as opposed to the heat. If I can keep my gpu and cpu below 65 I'll be happy.
m
l
November 7, 2011 10:01:49 PM

Can you tell us your case? The H80 will NOT be able to cool your system. The pumps on Corsair Hybrid WC models are not very good and can only adequately power a CPU only loop.

Tell us your case and we'll fit a solution with you and your budget. ;) 
m
l
November 7, 2011 10:31:13 PM

My case is a Lian-Li pcb20. I was going to take out the hdd holder and put the rad and fans in place of the existing front fan.

The other problem I have is that I live in New Zealand and I would have to pay for shipping from overseas. New Zealand is about as far away as you can get from anywhere that sells these things so the shipping will be huge. I can however get an H80 here though. That's why I thought of doing this.

Thanks for such a definitive answer though SushiDragon, I appreciate it. I had a feeling it wouldn't be adequate and also with the copper vs aluminium issue I think the answer to my initial question is that I'm an idiot.
m
l
November 7, 2011 10:40:16 PM

adamsteenfeldt said:

Thanks for such a definitive answer though SushiDragon, I appreciate it. I had a feeling it wouldn't be adequate and also with the copper vs aluminium issue I think the answer to my initial question is that I'm an idiot.

Not an idiot, just ignorant on this particular subject. Big difference.
m
l
November 7, 2011 10:43:55 PM

Ha, ha, thanks Homeboy2. They say ignorance is bliss but trying to get my EVGA 560ti SC to shut up and stay cool isn't feeling all that blissful.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 11:28:43 PM

SushiDragon said:
Can you tell us your case? The H80 will NOT be able to cool your system. The pumps on Corsair Hybrid WC models are not very good and can only adequately power a CPU only loop.

The pumps are not very good, but it's been proven time and again that even the early H50 pump could power more than a CPU only loop.
m
l
November 7, 2011 11:39:40 PM

I just used frozencpu to make a kit and the price was US$475. I could butcher an H80 for less than $200. Maybe RMAing EVGA 560ti is a better idea. I love the idea of making a water cooled system though.
m
l
November 8, 2011 12:09:14 AM

adamsteenfeldt said:
I just used frozencpu to make a kit and the price was US$475. I could butcher an H80 for less than $200. Maybe RMAing EVGA 560ti is a better idea. I love the idea of making a water cooled system though.

You can buy a swiftech rad for 60 bucks, raystorm cpu block for 60 and a swiftech pump for 80.
m
l
November 8, 2011 12:47:12 AM

Then the tube, connectors, gpu block and liquid.

I also just realised it would be more like $300 for me to cut open an H80. I'd still need to get a gpu block shipped to me. I guess it's not worth the risk but thanks to everyone who helped out.
m
l
November 8, 2011 12:48:01 AM

Best answer selected by adamsteenfeldt.
m
l
November 8, 2011 1:07:05 AM

adamsteenfeldt said:
Then the tube, connectors, gpu block and liquid.

I also just realised it would be more like $300 for me to cut open an H80. I'd still need to get a gpu block shipped to me. I guess it's not worth the risk but thanks to everyone who helped out.

liquid is 99 cents connectors often come with, gpu 50 bucks
m
l
November 8, 2011 1:14:33 AM

I checked with frozencpu and also the EK store and the price was about the same. The thing that really killed me was the US$120 shipping.

I'm checking with EVGA at the moment to see if my gpu card is abnormally hot and loud. I might RMA it. I got 95C in STALKER with default fan control. I changed the fan settings through their Precision software and now it's loud and still hot.

For things based on logic, computers seem very random.
m
l
!