Would you invest in SATA3.0 (6gbps) and USB3.0

ironic_sobriquet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I was poking around newegg, and found a bunch of drives and motherboards which support SATA3.0 and was wondering if you guy's really think it's worth it... the boards don't seem to be much more expensive, and the performance increase would never be a bad thing I just don't think drives right now are utilizing the full 3gbps, maybe large 64mb buffered 15k SAS drives... but who can afford those(if only... :[ )
same goes for USB3...

eventually I'll invest, but do you think it's worth it to invest now? or later?

USB3.0, yeah if you have an external device that is capable of USB3.0 and can break about 40MB/s, and for future USB3.0 capable devices (ie external HDD's that aren't slow because of USB)

Sata 6gbps, not so much as SSD's are barely breaking Sata 3gbps at the moment, now if you could get SAS6gbps that would be worth it as it allows for port multiplying so multiple devices share one channel

ironic_sobriquet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
maybe if you could connect multiple drives to one SATA port... that would be nice... three drives over a 6gbps link... maybe that might bottleneck, if so then I'd settle for two drives... regardless... a small floating raid card (similar to a crossfire link board) would be awesome...
if I find something like this, that alone would decide it...

well Sata doesn't support port multiplying (i think), and if a device does it the device handles it in a special manner

however SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) allows for link multiplying and has STP (Sata Tunneling Protocol) to allow sata drives to be used on a SAS port (though not vice versa)

on a 6gbps link, i would image 4 drives could be ran fine (1.5gbps) as that is right around the peak transfer of mechanical drives and 1-2 SSD's on one port

ironic_sobriquet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
well Sata doesn't support port multiplying (i think), and if a device does it the device handles it in a special manner
hmm, the way I was thinking was more of a small RAID card maybe in a small plastic enclosure that could either be mounted next to the drives and have a 5v rail in plus four SATA2(or 3...) in ports... and a SATA3 out port and you would just plug all of your drives into this box and it would act as a hardware raid card... and you would never see the individual drives (logically, obviously physically there there)...
however SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) allows for link multiplying and has STP (Sata Tunneling Protocol) to allow sata drives to be used on a SAS port (though not vice versa)
this is good to know... because the Foxconn Bloodrage (not the GTI) has SAS support... I should check if what version they used...
on a 6gbps link, i would image 4 drives could be ran fine (1.5gbps) as that is right around the peak transfer of mechanical drives and 1-2 SSD's on one port
well, with a large enough buffer, like on the WD RE4 drives where you have a 64mb buffer I'd think you could hit MAYBE 4gb/s though this is more of a guess than a calculation... though your point still stands for consumer level drives...
this would also be a good way to speed up those MLC SSDs that are coming down in price like a hurling meteor crashing twords earth... I'd love to build a 1tb system based entirely on SSDs...
I think what I meant to say was that my idea was supposed to bypass port multiplying... by basically adding a buffer+a RAID driver (maybe add a nice switch on it to go between RAID0,1,&5)
I wonder if anyone makes anything like this...

-Ian