Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking and Gaming

Last response: in Overclocking
November 7, 2011 12:29:38 PM

Hello everyone

Just a simple question. How does overclocking benefit gaming? I have a Phenom 955 Black Edition incase you guys wanted to know.

Thanks

Andy

More about : overclocking gaming

November 7, 2011 3:29:14 PM

how does any cpu/gpu upgrade effect gaming? more frames per second...and allowance of higher graphical settings...
November 7, 2011 3:30:48 PM

When a cpu is manufactured it has limits built into it for safety and stability. Some chips are designed for over clocking and in turn this allows us to increase its capability w/o having to buy a higher priced chip of the same specs. Your chip, same as my current rig, is a beast and will oc incredibly easy w/o having to raise voltage.

Heres a simple guide:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-editi...
Related resources
November 7, 2011 9:24:09 PM

Essentially it's like having a better processor. The difference between my i5 650 running at the stock 3.2GHz and overclocked 4.0Ghz can easily make 20FPS difference in most modern games, however any rig is only as good as its weakest component, so if your GPU is lacking power overclocking your CPU probably won't help much.

Hope this clears that up for you. :) 
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 11:53:02 PM

Overclocking benefits (or can benefit) gaming in two ways. If a game is CPU intensive, a higher CPU speed gets you improved frame rates directly.

If a game is GPU intensive (most are), if the CPU is not fast enough, it will not be able to provide all the data that the GPU needs. Here, overclocking will get you better frame rates. Of course, if the stock CPU is powerful enough to keep the GPU fed, overclocking will not help much.
November 8, 2011 7:54:57 AM

Okay, thanks for your help everyone :) 
November 9, 2011 9:06:15 PM

I have that same chip and was easily able to hit 4GHz stable on it. and the performance increase is pretty noticeable from the stock 3.2GHz :p  Here's a reference to how I got it stable at 4GHs (200MHz x 20 @ v1.4125/ NB @ 2600 @ v1.2) now you may or may not need to increase the voltage on the CPU very much more then that if its not stable at that voltage.

This is ofc if you plan on even OCing the chip. How ever if you plan on OCing but don't want to mess with voltages then you can set the multi to either 18.5 (3.7GHz) or 19 (3.8GHz) without needing to increase the voltage, past that and your want to for stability.
!