SSD Upgrade more beneficial for a laptop or desktop?

jlyr3mixed

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hello, I only have enough to buy one SSD this summer and I was wondering if it would be better to upgrade my laptop or my desktop with the ssd.

I use my laptop for schoolwork, videos, some photoshop and video editing at times on the go. I use my desktop for all these things plus gaming. im wondering which upgrade would be better, especially since the desktop would have a 1tb for storage as well, but the laptop would only have the one ssd. the laptop is a sandy i3 while the pc a phenom x4 955 BE.
i cant for the life of me decide which one to upgrade first.
anyone have an opinion on this?

Laptop, because laptop drives are 2.5 and usually slower. Also, you are more likely and it is also easier to get raid0 for your desktop in the future than your laptop. SSD on laptop also gives you the advantage of better mobility due to faster on/off and less prone to shock damage.

jlyr3mixed

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011

thanks! now that i think about it the quicker laptop time boots will probably help since its always going into sleep mode for a few minutes and i use it intermittently. Now i have to figure out if i should buy my ssd now or wait until black friday. :lol: