Sign in with
Your question

Does anyone have any info on this Gigabyte MOBO

Last response: in Motherboards
February 18, 2010 7:27:47 PM

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I really can't seem to find any info on this particular model.

I have been looking at the:

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Plan on using a phenom II x 3 720 BE CPU with a 5770 GPU with it. I wasn't planning on doing any crossfiring, but maybe down the road some OC and try to unlock the fourth core on the CPU.

Thanks for the help

More about : info gigabyte mobo

a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2010 8:17:04 PM

osip said:
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

I really can't seem to find any info on this particular model.

I have been looking at the:

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Plan on using a phenom II x 3 720 BE CPU with a 5770 GPU with it. I wasn't planning on doing any crossfiring, but maybe down the road some OC and try to unlock the fourth core on the CPU.

Thanks for the help

I've got the exact same combo that you mention - A sapphire v2 5770 (with the egg shape cooler and the copper heatpipes ) and the Phenom II X3 720 with the 4th core unlocked running at 3.2 GHz on that first MOBO - and it runs very well - The 790GX chipset is better than the 770 and also has the second PCI-e slot (though they both run at X8 speed when using the 2 - using 1 it runs at 16x) - THe Bios has pretty much any setting you would need for Ocing - When getting the 720 CPU a couple things to keep in mind -

1. the boxed versions Heatsink is not real good so if you plan to OC get a better heatsink and fan to lower the temps (unlocking the 4th core makes the CPU use quite a bit more power and then the OC adds more so the stock HS is a bit weak for that)

2.) If you instead get the OEM version since you will be buying an aftermarket cooler - remember the OEM version does not have the warrranty that the boxed versions carry !! ( they only have the warranty the vendor offers no factory warranty !) - something to keep in mind.
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2010 8:47:20 PM

Thanks for the info, I do have a couple of question, and I apologize if they are stupid ones, I am attempting my first build and I am quite the novice.

I originally choose the 770 MOBE because the price of the 790 series has been out of my budget but this 790 ends up only being about $5.00 more with all the rebates and the combo deal;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Basically at this price should it be a no brainer to get the 790? There is nothing in the particular make that would make me stear clear as opposed to the other 790 series they offer?

Secondly, I want to make sure i understand the bus speed, the 790 is listed as 5200 MT/s which would be the speeds both ways vs. 5200/2000 MT/s?

I am also not sure how the PCI-Express X16 (X8) relate. I understand the 770 only has one, so I can only have on video card. Other 790's are listed as 2 (x16, run at x16, x8), which are able to crossfire. The one I am looking at is listed as 1(x16), 1(x8)? I am not sure how that fits in?

Finally, the onboard video card. I am thinking it is good to have as a back up, plus when I am doing the initial build. I can make sure everything else is up and running before I install the video card. This could be very helpful since I have never done this before and I am not sure what I am getting myself into. Does this affect the performance of the MOBO affecting it's performance? I would disable it once I was done with the build..

Thanks again in advance with your patience and your assistance.
m
l
February 18, 2010 9:13:29 PM

JDFan said:
I've got the exact same combo that you mention - A sapphire v2 5770 (with the egg shape cooler and the copper heatpipes ) and the Phenom II X3 720 with the 4th core unlocked running at 3.2 GHz on that first MOBO - and it runs very well - The 790GX chipset is better than the 770 and also has the second PCI-e slot (though they both run at X8 speed when using the 2 - using 1 it runs at 16x) - THe Bios has pretty much any setting you would need for Ocing - When getting the 720 CPU a couple things to keep in mind -

1. the boxed versions Heatsink is not real good so if you plan to OC get a better heatsink and fan to lower the temps (unlocking the 4th core makes the CPU use quite a bit more power and then the OC adds more so the stock HS is a bit weak for that)

2.) If you instead get the OEM version since you will be buying an aftermarket cooler - remember the OEM version does not have the warrranty that the boxed versions carry !! ( they only have the warranty the vendor offers no factory warranty !) - something to keep in mind.

Thanks JD Fan, should have waited a bit before posting my second set of questions, you pretty much resolved my concerns with the 790 MOBO. Think I am going to be purchasing either tonight or tomorrow going with the sapphire 5770 as well,

I picked up the CPU last night. This whole build thing is exhausting especially if you don't know what you are doing. I just decided Tuesday that I was going to do this. which I apparently don't. But I am looking forward to putting everything together.

If you don't mind me asking, what RAM would you recommend with this combo, right now I am looking at;
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK - Retail

and putting it all in an Antec 300 Illusion.

As far as overclocking goes, that will be down the road so I am going to hold off on, just hoping to get this puppy up and running before I try to break it. I will definitely be coming back here for advice on that.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2010 9:20:50 PM

For the price it is a very good MOBO - Gigabyte uses high quality components and makes a good product so it should be good for you. (I bought mine before Xmas when they had the boxed version X3 720 and that MOBO for $193 which was a great deal as well !)

The 5200MT\s is the hyper transport bus speed and I'm not real clear on it either so can't really clear that up for you (just know the newer CPUs have a faster speed and this MOBO does support that speed so it works with any AM3 chip out right now and should for awhile)

For the PCI-e slot - the chipset has a certain # of lanes that it can use and on the 790GX chipset they have it split up so that both of the PCI-e slots on the MOBO share the single full 16x lane - so when using just 1 of the slots the card has a full 16x lane connection to the system but when you use both slots it then shares those lanes between the 2 slots - the PCI-e X8 speed is more than almost all video cards out know use (the 5870 and 5890 are getting close to exceeding the X8 speed so if xfiring those it might cause some loss of performance but for the 5770s it would still run at fuill speed using them both at x8. The 770 only has a single slot so does not need to share it since there is no second slot on the mobo - the 790FX has more PCI-e slots and you can use 2 slots running at the full 16x speed so if wanting quad xfire or xfiring 2 5890s for example you would want the FX chipset.

Also I agree having the onboard video is helpful for times where your video card dies and you are waiting for a replacement or as you mentioned for testing to see if a problem is your discrete card - esp. since you aren't paying extra for it and once disabled it does not interfere with performance at all.

One thing I forgot to mention and that I ran into a problem with was this MOBO only has one ps2 connector so if you still use both a ps2 mouse and keyboard you will need to reeplace one or the other with a USB version ( I had a wireless combo that used both connections and wound up switching that combo to another system that I had here with a wireless combo that used one ps2 connection and a USB connection but had 2 ps2 connectors on the MOBO. - So it wasn't a problem for me but something to keep in mind when ordering the mouse\keyboard you plan on using !!

EDIT : For the RAM I'd actually go for some DDR3 1600 modules Like THESE - which are the same price and give you the same 8-8-8-24 timings at the higher speed ( which also gives you more overhead for when you do decide to OC !)
m
l
February 18, 2010 11:25:33 PM

JDFan said:
For the price it is a very good MOBO - Gigabyte uses high quality components and makes a good product so it should be good for you. (I bought mine before Xmas when they had the boxed version X3 720 and that MOBO for $193 which was a great deal as well !)

The 5200MT\s is the hyper transport bus speed and I'm not real clear on it either so can't really clear that up for you (just know the newer CPUs have a faster speed and this MOBO does support that speed so it works with any AM3 chip out right now and should for awhile)

For the PCI-e slot - the chipset has a certain # of lanes that it can use and on the 790GX chipset they have it split up so that both of the PCI-e slots on the MOBO share the single full 16x lane - so when using just 1 of the slots the card has a full 16x lane connection to the system but when you use both slots it then shares those lanes between the 2 slots - the PCI-e X8 speed is more than almost all video cards out know use (the 5870 and 5890 are getting close to exceeding the X8 speed so if xfiring those it might cause some loss of performance but for the 5770s it would still run at fuill speed using them both at x8. The 770 only has a single slot so does not need to share it since there is no second slot on the mobo - the 790FX has more PCI-e slots and you can use 2 slots running at the full 16x speed so if wanting quad xfire or xfiring 2 5890s for example you would want the FX chipset.

Also I agree having the onboard video is helpful for times where your video card dies and you are waiting for a replacement or as you mentioned for testing to see if a problem is your discrete card - esp. since you aren't paying extra for it and once disabled it does not interfere with performance at all.

One thing I forgot to mention and that I ran into a problem with was this MOBO only has one ps2 connector so if you still use both a ps2 mouse and keyboard you will need to reeplace one or the other with a USB version ( I had a wireless combo that used both connections and wound up switching that combo to another system that I had here with a wireless combo that used one ps2 connection and a USB connection but had 2 ps2 connectors on the MOBO. - So it wasn't a problem for me but something to keep in mind when ordering the mouse\keyboard you plan on using !!

EDIT : For the RAM I'd actually go for some DDR3 1600 modules Like THESE - which are the same price and give you the same 8-8-8-24 timings at the higher speed ( which also gives you more overhead for when you do decide to OC !)

Thanks for the RAM info, if I could bother you for one more recommendation? How about a good budget monitor, thinking between 21.5 and 23. Have been looking at Acer/ASUS? I am pretty much starting from scratch here, my computer I have been using for the past 5 1/2 yeas is an HP laptop!. This appears to be the last piece to my puzzle.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2010 11:40:04 PM

THis is the One I have - and have been happy with it - and the 5770 works well with it at the 1680x1050 resolution.
m
l
February 20, 2010 3:04:31 AM

Thanks for all your help, I am just about to pull the trigger and make my purchase, lets just hope I can get it put together.
m
l
!