Video Editing/Light Gaming i7 Build

ttlnewbie

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Hey All,

This is my 2nd post - I continued it in my previous thread but no looks after 24 hours.

I've had a lot of great advice over the past week or two from this board and have a configuratoin pretty much put together as below. I'm looking for the answers to a few specific questions (noted below) and any last minute advice before ordering!

Few basics:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: very soon APPROX BUDGET RANGE: US$750-1000 (just about where I am)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Video import/editing, significant everyday multitasking on 2 monitors, occasional use of Flight Sim X, "future proof" system for growth

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, tower case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: expreience with newegg.com and tigerdirect.com, but open to the best prices.

PARTS PREFERENCES: as below, few items still looking for suggestions

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Not at this point, will leave option open

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1900x1200 on 24" monitor right now, probably will switch to dual monitor setup w/in 1 year

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: lan to run Windows RC7 for the next year or so. I'm about to undertake a large project to digitize over a hundred hours worth of video and eventually produce a set of DVDs. So I'll have a large amount of video editing and DVD production in the near future. I only ocacsionally play games, most commonly FSX but I'm by no means a big-time gamer. My other goal is to "future proof" the system ... leave room to upgrade down the road rather than replace .... Cost is an issue but not the paramount concern.

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem

MB: Asus P6T SE LGA versus AsRock X58 Extreme LGA. Both of these boards look quite good. The AsRock is about $40 cheaper. Wathamn noted that Asus may be easier to overclock than the AsRock board and may have more "newbie" friendly features. I'm open to thoughts on this one, or suggestions for another board in that general price range I may not have considered.

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream 600W

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB

Memory: Patriot 6GB DDR3 1333. Upgraded at suggestion of this forum. Open to thoughts.

Graphics Card: Leaning to this one: Gigabyte GV-N260C-896H 896mb DDR3 HDCP Ready SLI ready. Also looked at this slightly more expensive board from EVGA: EVGA 896 GeForece GTX 260 896gb DDR3 SLI ready. There's only about a $10 difference between these two - Anyone have suggestions between these two or another board that would work?

DVD Burner: Samsung Back DVD Burner with Lightscribe

Questions:

-Suggestions on motherboard choice? The AsRock is sold out on neweeg, hoping I could find it somewhere else. I think they are pretty comparable but the AsRock is less expensive.
-Would there be a to adding a smaller, second hard drive? My thought would be have the OS/programs installed to the smaller drive, and the other drive to be for data (i.e. lots of videos. Would doing this help with the speed of the system?
-RAM Choice sugestions?
-Graphics card choice - between those two? any others?
-Other items to buy? I've heard that arctic silver 5 thermal compound would be good. Any other sugestions for major tools I would need?

Thanks!

TN

jbakerlent

Distinguished
Since one of your main goals is to make the system upgradeable, I would recommend a different PSU - one that has 4 GPU connectors to enable dual card setups:
Antec EA750 750W ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

No the Samsung is pretty much the fastest non SSD drive you can get.
If the ASRock is in stock when you order, you would be fine with it.
Your RAM is fine, but when this comes back instock (probably tomorrow) I would get it (same price too w/o rebate):
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231230
I would just go with the cheaper GPU.
Yeah, if you're going to more than a slight overclock it wouldn't hurt to get a HSF and TIM, but it's not always worth all the extra money.
No, you basically only need a screwdriver.

ttlnewbie

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

jbaker - thanks for the reply. Great suggestions once again. I'll look at that PSU - that would make sense to have the ability to setup 2 of them.

-My question re: the dual hard drives was more from an overall system performance question: would it be benefitial to separate the OS from the data drives?

-Will look at that RAM. Why do you favor that RAM vs. the Patriot RAM?

-HSF and TIM are still batting around in my head. If I OC I think I may add the OC at that point.

Thanks again for your replies.

-TN

jbakerlent

Distinguished
Both sets of RAM are excellent, I like G.Skill a little better and it doesn't require a MIR but like I said either works. As far as I know there would be no benefit to installing the OS on a separate HDD.

ttlnewbie

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

Thanks jbakerlent. Appreciate the suggestions very much.

@ttlnewbie, just a suggetion about the RAM...

It seems that you would be undertaking large video conversion projects very soon...So I feel even going with 12GB of RAM, would benefit you much...
Here is a very good 6GB cheap RAM kit, that you can get for about $84 with Free shippping - Or $170 for 12GB...So this would be a very good option to consider...
OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz Intel Extreme Edition XMP Ready Series 6GB
http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-PC3-10666-1333MHz-Extreme-Optimized/dp/B001LK7ZTM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251693886&sr=1-2

And about the graphics card - If you are not an intense gamer, even this card would be suffice for you...
EVGA 01G-P3-1155-TR GeForce GTS 250 1GB
$139.99
($124.99 after $15.00 Mail-In Rebate )
Free Shipping*
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130469

ttlnewbie

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

Thanks Gkay - I'll look into those things.

I've heard that 12gb didn't offer appreciable benefit at this point vs. 6gb, perhaps it would though with video import/rendering. I'll look into it. Thanks for the rec on the card - I'll look at that as well.

-TN

12GB of RAM, doesnt offer appreciable benefit for regular and day-to-day tasks...
But for apps such as Adobe Premiere, CS4,etc... make full use of the extra RAM...So you would notice good improvement over 6GB RAM...

ttlnewbie

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
If I were going to add a case to this build, what would you all recommend? I like the Antec line, the 300 seems just a bit small but the 900 is a bit expensive. Anything in between that people have had good results with?

I have a large tower case from an old build that I think would work .. but I'm coveting a new case ....

Anyone see lately any good combo deals with perhaps the 750W PSU recommended by jbaker and a case? Or any others?

-TN

ttlnewbie

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

gkay - that package is no longer available. There is a package, but it's $189 for the 700W. I can do an antec 900 + 750W antec PSU for $180 minus 10% on Newegg.

The CM does look like a nice case - what do you like better about it vs. the antec 300/900?

tn

ttlnewbie

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
One additional question:

From what I read a HSF is a necessity if I am going to OC. Wasn't planning on doing that right out of the gate ... but now I"m giving it a bit more though (might be fun to play with, at least).

The i7 comes with a stock HSF, correct? Most of the people who overclock add on the nicer looking, expensive sinks as well. Do people have recs for a reasonably priced heat sink? Is it needed if I decide not to OC? What temp does the i7 run at with the stock HSF in place?

I'm starting to think that I might as well add it all at once if I'm going to do it ...

-tn

jonsy2k

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
You could probably pull off a minor overclocking, but I would invest in a decent heatsink anyway, and those that obsidian named are all pretty great for a decent price. About the case, even though it might be expensive, its also very likely to last you a really long time, as long as you don't get tired of looking at it, since a metal box isnt really going to be obsolete anytime soon.

ttlnewbie

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Obsidian - thanks for the suggestions. I will look through those all.

Jonsy - good point. I like the antec line and I know the 300s are widely recommended. I was/am debating between the 300 and 900 .. the 902 is a bit more than I want to spend.... and I've read several reviews abotu the 900 being basically a "wind tunnel" and quite noisy. I'm leaning more to the 300 for the cost/benefit at this point ... seems to do what I need it to do, and I know people on here seem to really like it ..

The CM Centurion 5 also looks like a nice case, good reviews. Anyone have experience with it? Only 2 fans .... how many fans is "enough?" Where does the annoyance of more fan noise exceed the additional cooling capacity? :) I know that's an opinion question ... but I'm open to opinions!

Also, the price on the Antec Earthwats 750 just jumped a lot. It was (per my spreadsheet, at least) $95 yesterday, now listed at $135 today. The 750W Antec Truepower is $95. Do I lose anything going to that?

-tn

ttlnewbie

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

Obsidian - I like the subbeam and the scythe. The sunbeam doesn't seem to fit the i7. I like the scythe, currently looking for a guide on how to install it(removing the backplate concerns me a bit ... I'm not even sure which backplate they're talking about!)

Will look into it ...

As a newbie question, this replaces that stock cooler that comes with the i7, right?

tn

the 300 is a good case at a good price compareble cooler master cases cost a bit more as with most cooler master products but for the money the 300 if you got a lil more to spend get a cooler master but personally i like the cooler master designs but look at your options and go with your gut

ttlnewbie

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

Thanks obsidian. I found on amazon for just a few more bucks the coolermaster 690 which I have seen in stores before and like a lot. I think that may be the winner.

Now ... just trying to find somewhere that has my RAM ....

tn

ttlnewbie

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

Thanks obsidian. I actually had been looking at them, they also lack the G.skill. I think I'm going to revert to the patriot - timing and CAS are the same, price is just a bit more after MIR. Should be alright ....