Sign in with
Your question

How to access a HDD used for CCTV?

Last response: in Storage
June 23, 2011 5:12:08 AM

Hello,

I have a HDD that was used as a storage for a DVR and need to back up the datas for it to be used as a proof.

I tried to use the option provided by the DVR itself, which was to insert an USB storage and save the recordings in it however

it was taking hours to just format the USB storage and still didn't finish the job after 3 hours.

Therefore, i replaced the primary HDD with a new one so the recordings we need won't be over written and came home

with the old one. I connected the HDD on my desktop and it was recognized both in bios and disk management.

I looked for it in My Computers but couldn't and later realized that the whole HDD was unallocated and wasn't given a

drive letter.

Because it is such an important data and I cannot dare try to format it..

Questions:

1. Are there any way that I can back up the data without formatting, or risking to lose the information it contains..?

2. If i initialize the unallocated space and give it a drive letter, would I be able to access it through My computer like

any other partitions that i have (for example, C: and D:)  and retrieve the informations without being over written?

The HDD is 320GB and was good for about 12 days.. so it has 12 days of recordings and is pretty much saturated..

I am new to this community and posting threads.. my apologies if I am at a wrong place to ask this kind of questions..

Thank you..

More about : access hdd cctv

a b G Storage
June 23, 2011 3:24:10 PM

If this is for legal reasons, you need to not mess with the hard drive. You have to show a chain of ownership and it will be up to you (to make it easy) to show that you did not modify the data in ANY WAY, including allowing the system to write to it.

1.) buy symantec ghost and a 2nd hard drive of equal or greater capacity.
2.) use Ghost to clone the DVR hard drive to the new drive.
3.) get back with us after this point and let us know the brand of DVR
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
June 26, 2011 7:23:29 AM

It could be that the DVR is using a proprietary file system.

Can you show us the contents of sector 0? That's where the partition table normally goes.

You could use HxD or DMDE for this purpose.

HxD - Freeware Hex Editor and Disk Editor:
http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd

DM Disk Editor and Data Recovery Software:
http://softdm.com

Whatever you do, please don't write on your drive. Don't initialise it, format it, allocate it, etc.

BTW, if you examine the first sector of your USB storage, after your DVR has begun to format it, then you will be able to identify its file system. This may not be the same as the internal file system. However, if it is FAT32 or NTFS, then you could probably quick format the drive on a Windows box.
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2011 5:26:54 AM

CompTIA_Rep said:
If this is for legal reasons, you need to not mess with the hard drive. You have to show a chain of ownership and it will be up to you (to make it easy) to show that you did not modify the data in ANY WAY, including allowing the system to write to it.

1.) buy symantec ghost and a 2nd hard drive of equal or greater capacity.
2.) use Ghost to clone the DVR hard drive to the new drive.
3.) get back with us after this point and let us know the brand of DVR

I see.. it is for legal purposes, but I'm not certain if it's going to be used or not at the moment..

I kept it in a box and didn't bother it.. I suppose i was right to do that..

What i was trying to do was to keep a copy of the footage (about an hr long) or the copy of the whole HDD itself

just in case the original data becomes unable to use..

The brand of DVR is Lorex Technology and I believe the model # was LH-314000. (When I looked it up on the Lorex website

to find some kind of a manual, nothing came up..strange..)

I really appreciate your time and the effort helping me out. Thank you for your kindly reply.
m
l
June 28, 2011 5:42:16 AM

fzabkar said:
It could be that the DVR is using a proprietary file system.

Can you show us the contents of sector 0? That's where the partition table normally goes.

You could use HxD or DMDE for this purpose.

HxD - Freeware Hex Editor and Disk Editor:
http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd

DM Disk Editor and Data Recovery Software:
http://softdm.com

Whatever you do, please don't write on your drive. Don't initialise it, format it, allocate it, etc.

BTW, if you examine the first sector of your USB storage, after your DVR has begun to format it, then you will be able to identify its file system. This may not be the same as the internal file system. However, if it is FAT32 or NTFS, then you could probably quick format the drive on a Windows box.

Hello, fzabkar.

I actually had a labtop right next to me when i was formatting my USB on DVR and tried quick formatting the USB

for both FAT32 and NTFS and the DVR still wanted to format it.. so i assume you are right that the DVR is using a

proprietary file system..

Thank you for reminding me not to initialize it, format it, allocate it, etc.

If it was any other things that I stumble on, I would've poked it, chewed it, scratched it, etc but because the data inside

the HDD is probably the most influencial evidence that we can pull off for our defense(if the situation brings us to use it that

is..), I couldn't dare to mess with it.

Thank you for sharing your valuable knowledge with me. I sincerely appreciate it.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 28, 2011 1:32:08 PM

So here is a question? Why do anything with it? Why not just bring in your DVR to play back the hard drive?

Anyway, if you want to persue this, I'd start with duplicating the hard drive via Symantec Ghost. Then play to your hearts content.

m
l
July 18, 2011 11:38:15 PM

i would like to know if there is possible to change or to convert the HDD dvr to windows HDD coz i upgraded or i buy a new higher capacity HDD dvr so i want to use the older HDD to my windows HDD?? thank you for your kind and effort
m
l
March 21, 2012 6:58:28 AM

Security is the protection of information assets through the use of technology, processes, and training. Security Forum is a forum site where you can discussion on security of hardwares.

Thank you
http://www.securityhardwareforum.org
m
l
January 24, 2014 10:40:57 AM

I have a similar problem, I have to backup some footage, the problem is that my HDD in DVR overwrites on its own and auto format new HDD. I removed my HDD with footage and put a new on the DVR, then I put it on my PC and it does not show up, so I decided to put it back in the DVR.

Unfortunately, the DVR started recording on it, and I cannot find any old recordings.
I get the new one which started instantly when I put back the HDD.

It is very important for me to recover the Data.

I will be going with Acronid DIsk Director to recover the files.
ALready Purchase it, then came up with this post.

DO you think it will work?
Or Any other solution for me?

Thanks

m
l
!