Sign in with
Your question

Why is Plasma Better Than LCD?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 10, 2002 1:54:10 AM

Okay, my guess is it has to do with gas versus liquid. Gas being less dense than liquid should be able to produce a finer array of colors since it can filtered or sifted into a finer mesh of colors than liquid in that it is inately able to pass through a finer filter than a liquid. I think that is why plasma screen tv's/pc monitors have more colors possible per pixle. My guess on that is that although liquid is denser than gas it is possible to have a higher density of colors per pixle with gas increasing the picture realism. Anyhow I am just trying to reason out why plasma is better since LCD and plasma screens are just about to come to a head to head battle for consumers money for large and small tv/pc monitors. Samsung already has a 40" LCD TV! The competition between Plasma and LCD is going to help drop the prices on both even faster! Woohoo!!!

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!

More about : plasma lcd

November 11, 2002 8:17:19 PM

Plasma monitors work the same way neon sign lights do. Inside a neon light there is a gas typically argon, or neon, that glow when you pass en electric current trough them.

Plasma monitors work the same way, only image each pixel on the screen in a triad (3) of cells each cell being an individual neon light. Each cell in the triad is coated with a different color phosphor, one red, one green and one blue and contains a small amount of neon and xenon gas. These cells are sealed in a glass envelope. The monitor is made up of rows and columns of these cells.

When an electric current is passed through the cell the gas inside the cell glows and excites the phosphor and the cell glows the color of the phosphor inside that cell. Since the phosphor used is basically the same phosphor that is used in color CRT monitors and televisions you get the same rich dynamic colors unlike liquid crystal displays that use polarized color filters. Color filters do not have the range, saturation or gamut that phospor has.

Plasma monitors do not make as good a desktop monitor as a TFT LCD. Plasma monitors tend to be large >33” and tend to be lower resolution than LCD or CRT monitors. Plasma monitors are power hungry devices 2 – 3 times more than a CRT monitor making this technology unfit for use in portable devices like laptop computers where batteries are used as the power source. Plasma monitors are extremely susceptible to screen burn.

Plasma is better suited to information displays like the ones in airports or Televisions. I do not see much competition between the two technologies.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
MonitorsDirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>
November 11, 2002 8:36:48 PM

I've also heard the emissions of plasmas are really big, far more than what a CRT emits.

dusijtpmo- don't use stupid internet jibberish to piss me off
Related resources
November 17, 2002 11:50:29 PM

Thanks for the information. It is disapointing information to me in a way though. I was told that the plasma screens looked incredible as PC monitors but your saying they suck as PC monitors and LCD screens are better. Ok, so now LCD is best for PC monitor/tv combination for the office and Plasma screen is best for family room TV viewing correct?

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!
November 18, 2002 12:43:39 PM

I guess so, I've seen Plasmas that work out as great TV's, but I've never seen a Plasma in PC's so I can't talk about that

You can get the most powerful computer in the world, but it'll never surpass my genius
<font color=red>Fuahahahahah!</font color=red>
!