Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Stuttering mouse pointer

Last response: in Components
Share
November 21, 2009 5:04:39 PM

I have a Logitech G7 2.4GHz wireless mouse. For some reason this mouse causes significant interference with my wireless networking equipment. The mouse pointer skips and stutters across the screen if I'm browsing the web. If I use a PCI or USB wireless network adapter my computer freezes up hard in Windows. This problem happens regardless of whether I use Windows XP, Vista or 7. I'm currently using a Linksys WET54G wireless bridge instead of a PCI or USB adapter but my Linksys bridge device frequently crashes and reboots while I'm using my Logitech G7 mouse. If I use a corded mouse all of these problems go away completely. How can I eliminate this interference? Can I change the wireless channel on my Logitech G7 mouse? Can someone PLEASE help me before I get carpal tunnel syndrome from this cheap, crappy corded mouse?
November 21, 2009 6:54:47 PM

techguy378 said:
I have a Logitech G7 2.4GHz wireless mouse. For some reason this mouse causes significant interference with my wireless networking equipment. The mouse pointer skips and stutters across the screen if I'm browsing the web. If I use a PCI or USB wireless network adapter my computer freezes up hard in Windows. This problem happens regardless of whether I use Windows XP, Vista or 7. I'm currently using a Linksys WET54G wireless bridge instead of a PCI or USB adapter but my Linksys bridge device frequently crashes and reboots while I'm using my Logitech G7 mouse. If I use a corded mouse all of these problems go away completely. How can I eliminate this interference? Can I change the wireless channel on my Logitech G7 mouse? Can someone PLEASE help me before I get carpal tunnel syndrome from this cheap, crappy corded mouse?

m
0
l
November 21, 2009 6:55:36 PM

Hi,

have you tried to change the channel on your wireless router?

Andy
m
0
l
Related resources
November 22, 2009 5:59:03 PM

Yes, I've tried manually changing the channel on the router. I've also tried setting the router to automatically find the best channel. Neither one of these attempts fixed the problem.
m
0
l
November 22, 2009 8:20:21 PM

just in case you're not aware, you should only use channels 1, 6 or 11 on your wireless router. The the channels in between each of these channels are too close and cause interference.

Check on your pc for which channels are being used by your neighbours etc.

Also have a look for other possible radio sources e.g. video senders etc.

Andy
m
0
l
November 22, 2009 8:21:37 PM

must say... my experience of Logitech mice and keyboards hasn't been great on the whole.
m
0
l
November 23, 2009 3:44:51 AM

techguy378 said:
Yes, I've tried manually changing the channel on the router. I've also tried setting the router to automatically find the best channel. Neither one of these attempts fixed the problem.


casabas said:
just in case you're not aware, you should only use channels 1, 6 or 11 on your wireless router. The the channels in between each of these channels are too close and cause interference.

Check on your pc for which channels are being used by your neighbours etc.

Also have a look for other possible radio sources e.g. video senders etc.

Andy


I've tried using all of the channels my router offers in the 2.4GHz band. My computer still repeatedly freezes up hard with a PCI wifi adapter installed.
m
0
l
November 23, 2009 6:26:23 AM

techguy378 said:
I've tried using all of the channels my router offers in the 2.4GHz band. My computer still repeatedly freezes up hard with a PCI wifi adapter installed.



I know it seems very much as though the problems are wireless, and probably are, however, I wonder whether it may be worth eliminating different things from the equation.

I've had problems similar to yours before and ended up finding out the problem is a side effect of something else (e.g. could be something like a software conflict between wireless adapter driver and mouse driver). I'd personally try temporarily changing out parts of the system. Perhaps start by trying another pc with the same mouse (and not using the same wireless adapter in the other pc). Try your pc with a wired connection instead too. Trying this sort of approach will help you figure out which thing, or combination of things is resulting in the problem.
m
0
l
November 24, 2009 5:42:22 AM

I'm presently using a corded Logitech M500 mouse which uses the same SetPoint version 4.80 software as the Logitech G7. My computer has been running for at least a whole day straight without freezing up. In addition to my current Airlink101 802.11n single band PCI wifi adapter, I've also tried using a D-Link DWL-G520 PCI wifi adapter, a dual band D-Link DWL-AG530 PCI wifi adapter and a USB Trendnet 802.11g wifi adapter with my Logitech G7 mouse. My computer only seems to freeze up when using my Logitech G7 mouse with a 2.4GHz PCI or USB wifi adapter. I'm NOT having this problem with a corded mouse.
m
0
l
November 25, 2009 9:27:08 AM

I'd have a go with another wireless mouse if you can get hold of one. I'd then go the manufacurer with your findings (assuming another wireless mouse is ok) and get them to refund you if still in warranty.
m
0
l
November 25, 2009 5:08:14 PM

Great. I guess I'll have to get a corded gaming mouse. Logitech is the only company on the planet that makes ergonomic gaming mice unfortunately and for some reason bluetooth gaming mice (which would probably eliminate the interference) are non existent.
m
0
l
November 25, 2009 10:17:23 PM

I really would have appreciated a thank you for taking time out to try to help. Hope you solve your problem anyway. Regards.
m
0
l
November 26, 2009 3:30:40 AM

casabas said:
I really would have appreciated a thank you for taking time out to try to help. Hope you solve your problem anyway. Regards.

Sorry, I do appreciate your help. I'm just frustrated that I seem to be stuck with a corded mouse.
m
0
l
November 26, 2009 4:39:39 AM

techguy378 said:
I'm presently using a corded Logitech M500 mouse which uses the same SetPoint version 4.80 software as the Logitech G7. My computer has been running for at least a whole day straight without freezing up. In addition to my current Airlink101 802.11n single band PCI wifi adapter, I've also tried using a D-Link DWL-G520 PCI wifi adapter, a dual band D-Link DWL-AG530 PCI wifi adapter and a USB Trendnet 802.11g wifi adapter with my Logitech G7 mouse. My computer only seems to freeze up when using my Logitech G7 mouse with a 2.4GHz PCI or USB wifi adapter. I'm NOT having this problem with a corded mouse.


n based wireless does not use the 2.4Ghz band. That's why.
m
0
l
November 26, 2009 8:15:11 AM

amdfangirl said:
n based wireless does not use the 2.4Ghz band. That's why.


amdfangirl. Hi. My understanding is that 802.11n can make use of both 2.4 and 5 Ghz frequencies, but n wireless access points (n wireless routers) should only be configured to use the 2.4 Ghz range if there is no other equipment using this frequency in the vicinity e.g. bluetooth or b, g equipment.

Based on my understanding (which contradicts amdfangirl's), then techguy378, have you configured your 'n' wireless router to not use the 2.4 Ghz band which may interfere with your 2.4 Ghz mouse? I've never configured an n access point so that's just a thought.... Cheers.
m
0
l
November 26, 2009 9:23:43 AM

Well I'm saying that based on an educated guess. Waves at similar frequencies tend to hate each other.

You could try using the 5Ghz band, but keep in mind, it is incompatible with non-n devices.
m
0
l
November 28, 2009 6:57:09 AM

My router is an 802.11g router. It's just the PCI network adapter I'm using that's 802.11n. I have Verizon's FiOS internet service so I'm just using the Actiontec brand router they supplied.
m
0
l
December 1, 2009 9:28:23 AM

Well, you'd be forced to use g. It's like having a colour TV set when all the braodcast were B&W, you'd be forced into the legacy technology.
m
0
l
!