Solved

Quick question - Lower temps lower vcore?

Quick question. Looked at some other people's oc results and it seems to me that the people who do extreme cooling can get stable at lower vcores. Does temp affect stability?
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about quick question lower temps lower vcore
  1. Best answer
    Well, yes. But the main benefit of extreme cooling is that the system stays stable at higher applied voltages, which lets you reach a higher overclock..
  2. jsc said:
    Well, yes. But the main benefit of extreme cooling is that the system stays stable at higher applied voltages, which lets you reach a higher overclock..


    So say, it is possible that by lowering my temp 10C I can reduce vcore by .05?
  3. It doesn't quite work like that. You would lower your temps, allowing you to increase your voltage allowing higher clock speeds. Temps only affect stability when they are near damaging limits.
  4. blade061188 said:
    It doesn't quite work like that. You would lower your temps, allowing you to increase your voltage allowing higher clock speeds. Temps only affect stability when they are near damaging limits.


    I understand that but I've seen super chilled cpus that can get 5ghz at only 1.2v! My question is how can low temps allow lower voltages.
  5. If someone gets 5Ghz on 1.2v, they have an extremely rare chip. An overclock like that could only be done if the chip was out of an exceptional batch from Intel.

    It isn't affected too much by the cooling solution.
  6. AMD chips prefer lower temps over higher voltages. I don't know about Intel, but for AMD, yes.
  7. Its not a matter of AMD vs Intel

    So chips in general have no effects on stability through extremely low temps?
  8. Quote:
    So chips in general have no effects on stability through extremely low temps?


    What do you mean by "Chips in general?"
  9. blade061188 said:
    Quote:
    So chips in general have no effects on stability through extremely low temps?


    What do you mean by "Chips in general?"


    Like CPUS in general. Like a general rule. Like higher vcore means higher temp.
  10. Yea, as a general rule, higher vCore means higher temp.
  11. blade061188 said:
    Yea, as a general rule, higher vCore means higher temp.


    Ugh that was my example. In this case, DOES lower temp mean lower vcore? I was wondering how super chilling a cpu would affect it to allow it to be stable at very low temps.
  12. Best answer selected by bear95.
  13. Quote:
    Its not a matter of AMD vs Intel


    Yes it is... AMD chips (or at least those based on the Phenom II architecture) with a lower temperature will clock higher with less voltage, I don't think Intel chips do the same.
  14. Fortunex said:
    Yes it is... AMD chips (or at least those based on the Phenom II architecture) with a lower temperature will clock higher with less voltage, I don't think Intel chips do the same.


    The example I gave behaved similarly.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooling Overclocking