Really need to overclock opinions ?

jb1185

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
i use to think that i needed the fastest cpu on earth to do what i wanted which is producing music mostly which in my opinion is far more cpu intensive than gaming at a pretty high level , ive got an i5 2500k at stock and flies through everything i chuck at it compared to my old q6600 so at the minute i really cant see why i should oc it and what MOST other people would need to oc it to,to achieve what they require satisfactory or are people just getting caught up in overclocking their sandybridge as far as it can go and reducing the life of their cpu, don mean to sound like a twat but just wondered what other people thought and also ive had a few beers so i might just be blabbering on abit lol :pt1cable:

Sometimes it mostly just bragging rights to say that you have your overclock at a certian speed and also because it is unlocked people jkust like to see what they can get the thing up to. Even though the benefit of on overclock is not that much people will swear it is making a huge difference. There are some situations where an overclock will make a real difference and is beneficial to do an overclock.

slcmike

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
We oc because we choose to spend our money in ways that justify the end results. This is the part I always have a little beef with...longevity. I believe my systems last longer and work harder then any household, store bought, pc that is never cared for like we care for our rigs. :love:

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
"don mean to sound like a twat but just wondered what other people thought and also ive had a few beers so i might just be blabbering on abit lol"
hahaha give him some rank points or some ***. Why not OC? you will want to replace your cpu before it dies from over clocking anyway if you do it responsibly. its also nice to know your PC is faster than anything someone with a brain will be able to buy prebuilt

beenthere

Distinguished
OC'ing is just a hobby for most people. It is not required. It may produce some system gains by not big gains. It's just an exercise to see if the hardware will run faster than what you paid for.

While OCing is a hobby, it's performance gains are there and for sandy bridge that may be 20%+ just by a simple 4.5ghz OC. (Now after that is a waste of effort and is just for kicks for hobbyists.) That's a pretty decent boost in performance, free of charge and a good way to prolong its useful life.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-cpu-ssd,3027-8.html
This says 27% on apps in the conclusion but looking at the graphs themselves looks like 20% but I'm only quickly glancing.

I know you mentioned most people, but you need to understand, the people looking to overclock are not most people. How many of the people you know overclock? People always mention how bad ocing is, it shortens life, causes more heat and power, causes instability. But that's exaggerated on the worst case scenarios of old and gone cpus. The cpu is still going to last at least a decade, SB @ 4.5 is only using ~35 more watts than stock, only ~15C hotter at load, and a proper oc is as stable as a rock.

What are you trying to do ?
Converting video files or 3d modelling ? Then yeah it is worth it.
But with well coded games the GPU does most of the work and
stock speed on a CPU like that should be enough for most games.

Read the first line? It's not that cpu intensive and as he said he's not doing too complex (it can get very complex bogging down an OC 2600k), so he really doesn't have much reason. But if you already have a decent cooler, it's not like it takes very long to achieve a mild OC.

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
A) It's fun
B) Bragging rights
C) Better performance (I may be at 60FPS at stock, with some drops into 40's or 50's under really high load, but when I'm OC'd to 4.4GHz, I might dip into 60's or 70's instead).

andywork78

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
If you looking for faster system to helps your work.
I know this main board is server type but it will helps lots of multi tasking.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131378
2 cpu is better then having a O.C. on your cpu.
O.C. is show off what you can do and how much your system can do.
bad Life time of cpu and major of cooling unit will cost more.
All of pro users answered very nice and perfect.
Keep in mind O.C. is not a good choice for long run use.

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
2 cpus is only better if your application takes advantage of it. It doesn't matter if I have 4 cores or 16 cores if I'm playing Crysis, all that matters is the clock speed and architecture.

Overclocking is completely fine for system life unless you're running near the limit of your volts with high temperatures.

jb1185

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
didnt expect so many replies to this but it seems there seems to be good reason for even a small oc im after a new graphics card possibly a 6870 (any good) in the new year so i might just find out for myself thanks for the input !!!!