Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H no post w/memory in slot 2

Last response: in Motherboards
February 18, 2010 11:29:12 PM

I built a new system a couple days ago using this mobo. The rest of the parts are:

Athlon II X4 630 Propus (w/stock hsf)
Onboard vid and audio
Seagate 160GB hd (for now)
XP Pro SP3 (for now)
Sony DVD/CD combo
Coolermaster Elite 335
OCZ Modstream 500w psu

The problem I've been having is with the RAM, or maybe it's just the DIMM slots.

After it was all assembled, I installed two (2x2GB) modules of Samsung DDR2 RAM (part# M378T5663QZ3-CF7). (I scavenged it from a Gateway computer that's about a year old). I put them in DIMM1 and 2 and it wouldn't post. All I got was a series of continuous long beeps. The manual (here) says that indicates the "graphics card is not inserted properly" (p. 96). Problem is, I'm not using a graphics card.

So I fiddled around with the memory for a while and it finally posted when only one stick of RAM was installed in slot 1. Then I tried it with sticks in 1 and 3 and it works that way too. On page 16 in the manual it says to use slots 1 and 2 when using only two memory modules, but that instruction is also found in the section on dual channel memory configuration. And it's not entirely clear if it's the same if you're not using dual channel (and I'm not sure the Samsung RAM is dual channel--I confess I don't entirely understand this part). I also tried some Corsair XMS PC6400 (2x2GB) and it did the same thing. I'm pretty sure the Corsair is dual channel, and I bought it as a 2x2GB kit.

When I have two modules installed in 1 and 3, the Easy Tune software shows only 2GB in the system summary, but on the app's memory tab it recognizes each individual module. CPU-Z and PC Wizard both recognize both modules and the total amount of RAM (4GB) correctly. I also ran Memtest86+ on the Samsungs, just for the heck of it, and it recognized the amount correctly and it passed.

The BIOS is set to factory defaults and it set it properly as to timings and speed and voltage: 6-6-6-18 and 800mhz. I tried changing it to ganged (just to fiddle) and it worked that way too.

I'm wondering if this is a defect with the board, or a memory compatibility problem (neither sets of RAM are on the Gigabyte compatibility list), or is it actually supposed to work only in 1 and 3 with the kind of RAM I'm trying to use and the manual just failed to make that clear? I have three sets of modules I could try in it: the Samsung, the Corsair, and another set of Corsair XMS 2x1GB. I realize that with XP Pro it won't recognize all the RAM if it exceeds 4GB, but it might suggest a solution to the problem.
February 19, 2010 2:31:01 PM

Hello,
I have the GA-MA770T-UD3P motherboard and cant speak on your board, but I did place my 2 sticks of GSKILL ram in slots 3 and 4 as suggested on other threads, went into the bios, set the proper spec timings, and have no issues with the ram.
These memory modules were not listed on the compatibility list but they work fine.
Maybe try putting your modules in slots 3 and 4 see if it works.
Im fairly new at this but I hope this may help.
February 20, 2010 1:03:41 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but it didn't work either--the same continuous, long beeps and no post.
Related resources
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 20, 2010 1:53:43 AM

Have you tried doing the "Load Optimized Defaults" from the BIOS? Do it with one stick in, if that's the only way it'll work right, then save, exit, reboot - power down, add other stick. GB says to populate slots nearest CPU first; AMD says populate slots furthest from CPU first - flip your own coin here :pt1cable: 

If that doesn't work, I have a plan - have a way to read the SPD on the RAM, and compare (for the most part) with the settings the BIOS is 'grabbing' from the LoadOpt...

'Nother possibility is: may be Dell-specific - Dell buys in big enough quantities so suppliers will custom-make parts; I know for a fact there are Dell PSUs out there that look like they have a standard 24 pin plug, but if you dare to plug 'em into a standard ATX board, they smell like burning phenolic! Will let out the 'magic smoke"! (All electronics work on the principle of containing 'magic smoke' - once you 'let out' the smoke, they don't ever work again :cry:  )
February 20, 2010 5:05:33 PM

bilbat said:
Have you tried doing the "Load Optimized Defaults" from the BIOS? Do it with one stick in, if that's the only way it'll work right, then save, exit, reboot - power down, add other stick. GB says to populate slots nearest CPU first; AMD says populate slots furthest from CPU first - flip your own coin here :pt1cable: 

It works with one stick in DIMM1 (I haven't tried it with just one in another slot, but I will), and it also works with one in DIMM1 and another in DIMM3. But I'll give your suggestion a try anyway and see what happens.
February 20, 2010 6:05:20 PM

Okay, I used the optimized defaults and tried just about every combination possible: one stick in DIMM1, D2, D3, D4, and it posted with it in 1 and 3 but wouldn't post with it in 2 or 4. I populated 1 and 3 with a 2GB stick and it posted, but not when they're in 2 and 4. Then I tried a combination of two matched (Samsung) 2GB sticks in 1 and 2 and two different (but matched) Corsair 1GB sticks in 3 and 4 and it wouldn't post. I tried to stagger them: 2GBs in 1 and 3 and 1GBs in 2 and 4 and it wouldn't post. But when I pulled the 2GB stick from slot 2 it posted (with a remaining 2GB in 1, and a 1GB in 3 and 4). It pretty much won't work with anything in slot 2. I'm thinking it's a mobo problem.
February 22, 2010 11:18:18 PM

Hey guy 0/ I have the above Mother board.... honestly dude its a good mother board but it sounds like that particular dimm may be bad...should work just fine the only other thing i can think of is the voltage settings may need tweeking... dont know what your ram needs for voltage but the UD3H gives 1.8 volts to memory by default... if your memory needs more it can draw more than the 1.8 but usually always under what the memory needs Ex: 2.0 volt mem will draw 1.9 something off of 1.8... you can add an extra 0.2 volts while staying within the safefty zone giving you 2.0 volts which would also work for 2.1 Volt memory.... if your sticks are both 2.1 or 2.2 and they're in the same collored channel (the collors have nothing to do with the dual channel config channel 1 is slots 1 and 3 and channel two is slots 2 and 4 while one and two are the same color and three and four are the same) which may share the same pathways for power. if your dimms are drawing more than available you would get the no post error.. having your dimms on 1 and 3 does not give you the dual channel benefits but probably seperates their power usage... also if you ever upgrade to mem @ 1066mhz you will need to go no more than one dimm per channel which means you must leave slots 3 and 4 empty and manually set clock speed for mem in the bios have fun 0/
February 22, 2010 11:27:58 PM

Puddintane said:
Okay, I used the optimized defaults and tried just about every combination possible: one stick in DIMM1, D2, D3, D4, and it posted with it in 1 and 3 but wouldn't post with it in 2 or 4. I populated 1 and 3 with a 2GB stick and it posted, but not when they're in 2 and 4. Then I tried a combination of two matched (Samsung) 2GB sticks in 1 and 2 and two different (but matched) Corsair 1GB sticks in 3 and 4 and it wouldn't post. I tried to stagger them: 2GBs in 1 and 3 and 1GBs in 2 and 4 and it wouldn't post. But when I pulled the 2GB stick from slot 2 it posted (with a remaining 2GB in 1, and a 1GB in 3 and 4). It pretty much won't work with anything in slot 2. I'm thinking it's a mobo problem.

also i just saw your post on your mix and match trial and error

thats not gonna work =)

you can have memory of different sizes provided they are all the same clock speed... however you must mactch the same size memory to a collor
Ex yellow slots both have 2gig sticks while the res slots both have one gigs

Ive never tried populating 3 out of 4 sockets or 1 out of 4 always been 2 or 4 out of 4

matching clock speeds and and voltage settings are a must

oh and on my other post when i was refering to dimm2 i meant the slot on the motherboard itself... may be dead... if thats the case yur tsol time to get a new MB sorry man
February 23, 2010 4:26:17 AM

icarusorion said:
also i just saw your post on your mix and match trial and error

thats not gonna work =)

you can have memory of different sizes provided they are all the same clock speed... however you must mactch the same size memory to a collor
Ex yellow slots both have 2gig sticks while the res slots both have one gigs

Ive never tried populating 3 out of 4 sockets or 1 out of 4 always been 2 or 4 out of 4

matching clock speeds and and voltage settings are a must

oh and on my other post when i was refering to dimm2 i meant the slot on the motherboard itself... may be dead... if thats the case yur tsol time to get a new MB sorry man

I emailed Newegg about what all I had tried. They just sent me an RMA. So it'll be on its way back to Newegg tomorrow. I ordered an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO and some G-Skill DDR3 RAM that was on the Asus approved memory list for the mobo. Hopefully this one will work. Thanks for all the suggestions.
!