joshernater9

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
I was just wondering how much a difference a jump from (If i remember correctly it was around this) 600MHz to 960MHz on my Core Clock? I have a HD Radeon 5700. I was also able to raise my Memory Clock up a bit, its currently at 1295. I used the Catalyst Control. Would this possibly raise me to another model? for example mine is a 5700, is it enough to surpass a higher model?

Also, When i tried doing the overclocking on the Control Center for my GPU and CPU, my computer shut down during the auto tune for it and my computer smelled burnt. Is this anything to worry about? My Temperature on my card says its usually at around 37C when im just on the internet. When i did the auto tune for the core clock the maximum it got around was 59ish i believe, didn't go pass it. So yeah, Just making sure nothing is wrong there as a side thing.

EDIT: Hey, I just want to know about the overheating part now, thanks :D

warhead0

Distinguished
Load up a GPU based benchmark and find out first hand.
www.3dmark.com

Telling you second hand information may be in accurate, and the specs of your PC will have an effect on the final result.

What part of your computer "smelt burnt"?
are you using a software based over-clocker? (3rd party/motherboard based)
You say the maximum you got was 59'ish, I'm not sure what "59'ish" is, the multiplier?

I don't even know what CPU you are using, you really need to provide much more information to get reliable help.

joshernater9

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Oh, Sorry about that. Totally slipped my mind.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20GHz

HD Radeon 5700

as for the over-clocker, im just using the Catalyst Control Center..Or to be more precise, The AMD Vision Engine Control Center, Came with my computer I believe..If not i just downloaded it.

As for the smell, I don't exactly know where it came from..But all i know is that when I tried overclocking both the CPU and the GPU it was auto tuning it and then my computer shut down and (If I remember correctly) a blue screen came on my monitor saying its shutting down so it does not receive heat damage. After it shut down i went over to my computer and it just smelt burnt, I guess it overheated somehow..Even though it said the temperature was at a decent number (around 59C)

joshernater9

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
bump..

here are the tempatures and voltages when its just doing nothing really

209hn2u.png

Any more info just ask...Rather afraid to try overclocking again until i figure out what happened first : P i cleaned the case out since then and there was alot of dust but just want to get some insight from other people first to avoid burning out my cards.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
whats your psu? brand..watts..which card and who made it? as for the 59 degrees thats totally fine....they are good to 88 degrees then after 95 stuff stars burnin...lol found that out the hard way...but I had mine clocked @ 1.25ghs core with a modded overvotlt and cooler of course....and got my mem runin the same as my ram at the time which was 1333.....if your smellin burnin i would say if you smell it right away its more than likly you will want to get a psu.....or it could just be really dusty...inside not just the fans....let me know...i can help ya clock your card higher

joshernater9

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Where do i find the wattage? The only info i can find about it at all is if i open it up it just says its made my Antec. I don't see any exact card number or anything..the only other thing i see is REV 02F..

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
are ya able to take a pic and post it here? im 98% sure its your psu goin on ya....all the info you need should be on a sticker on the psu......and for the demanding apps and games put out now ya need a good base...that would be your power....think of it as a engine in your car....you could have a great car with all the bells and whistles but it s not goin anywhere or any where fast or efficient if you dont have a good power train....personally I have not seen a revision # on any psu I have dealt with...(REV 02F) usuallt that would be your board...anyways long story short....just go out and pick up a good brand name psu 650watt or up....NEVER NEVER hurts to have a reliable GOOD psu...the only good investment that you can make in your rig...lol......that and a motherboard....which is a a whole nother thread.....ffrom the sounds of it your rig is gettin a little on the old side...sry if Im wrong ...I will ccheck this thread a few times today to try and narrow it down for ya......just got skyrim tho...and if ya a gamer you know what that means lol.....but if ya got 80- 100$ then go to your fav comp store pick up a psu got my 750 modular corsair for 89 bucks...canadian...and i wont have to worrie about upgradin for a long time....went thru three gfx card two drives a board and the only thing i have not upgrade is my psu...like i said in my opinion its the best investment...and cheap too for your rig
....ps....got the same processor as you black edition...runnin @ 4.125 air cooled...temps go high but im in the midst of wantin to build a new rig so Im maxin stuff out to see how far i can push this amd stuff

joshernater9

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

I looked all over the PSU, and there is no sticker..I thought there would be too...Unless its on the bottom of the psu, which would be a big design flaw : P The only thing else on it is a bar code with the REV number and a serial code..Besides that, all thats there is some letters indented in it, seems like some sort of model number..I looked it up on antec and i got nothing...I mean I could still take a picture, But i don't see what good it could do...And my computer isn't THAT old..I think i got it around 2ish years ago...Im actually able to run Battlefield 3 with no lag, everything on ultra : P

joshernater9

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Hey..Sorry to bump an old thread, But i found some odd readings for my fans...

These are readings during a Stability test for my fans:

1LVUVo.png

I have 4 fans in my computer, and this is showing only one is working normally..and the 3rd one has a crazy number..

And based on this page:

2KHKdS.png

The other fans are not going at all...Im guessing this is not normal, And i don't want to try overclocking until i figure this out, because this seems like a big issue..