BD-R Shows in Device Manager, Not in Windows 7

kzeroro

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
This is a new build about a week old as follows:

ASRock P67 Extreme 4
i5-2400s
8gb DDR16000 RAM
OCZ Agility 3 120gb/OS/Programs/AHCI (Disk 0)
WD3200 SATA I for storage (AHCI) (Disk 1)
WD5000 SATA I for Acronis Secure Zone (AHCI) (on the Marvell Controller)
HP1270i (AHCI) DVD RW (on the Marvell Controller)
Windows 7 64 bit

OK, I made a mistake and will correct it with a reinstall when I have a few hours: I had all drives hooked up when installing Windows, so now when I want to change SATA connections (move the WD5000 off the Marvell controller) it screws things up, like "bootmgr is missing, press CTRL-ALT-DEL..."

I went to add a BD-ROM, an LG UH12LS28. Hooking it up on the internal (non-Marvell) SATA drive and it shows in BIOS and Device Manager, but not in Windows/"My Computer."

Hooking it up on the Marvell, left in AHCI, and it does not show up in Windows 7, but in Device Manager (unknown device) and BIOS.

Setting the Marvell to IDE mode scews everything up, as the WD5000 perhaps needs to be remounted.

Does anyone have experience with this BD-R and if it simply needs to be set on the Marvell in IDE mode, from the time of installing Windows?

Or, can I use something like a Roswill 225 PCI SATA controller, which says it supports ATA and ATAPI?

Or, do you have other suggestions?

I think I need to reinstall Windows without the other drives attached--just don't have the extra few hours to load all the software at the moment...or is there an easier/better way to fix that and move my drives around to different controllers?

Thank you,
Art

kzeroro

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

Sorry...I should have mentioned that I have done that already, but no improvement.

Really there are two issues...I should have separated them (BD-R and issue of changing drive connections).

I can't figure out why the Startup Repair hasn't solved it. I am thinking about getting a boot manager utility...