Installing the Hyper 212+

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I bought the Cooler Master Hyper 212+, but I have had difficulties installing it. I had it installed, but had to uninstall it to get to a cable. When I installed it originally I had to put a ton of pressure on the screws of the retention plate just to get it in the screw holes, and I was worried I would crack the motherboard, or worse crush my CPU :/...

When I install it tonight when I get home, how much pressure is too much? I'm guessing that what I put wasn't enough to crack the motherboard as a ton of people install this and don't have issues, but I wanted to make sure. I have always used stock heatsinks as I don't like the idea of screwing up something, so I have no experience installing heatsinks...

Thanks Ahead

My Rig:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
AMD Phenom II B45 @3.21 (Unlocked/Slightly OC'ed AMD Athlon II 445 3.1GHz)
MSI 870-G45
4GB G. Skill DDR3 1600 (Operating at 1333)
MSI GTX 460 Cylcone 1GB
Carsair HC500 500 Watt PSU

jecho

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I have the same cooler and I would say dont go to the point of stripping your bolts. This would be bad. If you can try to get someone to hold the board flat while you line up your screws. I did it alone and it was relatively difficult. Also I am going to state the obvious but make sure you point the fan towards the exhaust. Messing this up will have you repeating this process.

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
I put the fastening bracket on the heat sink and made sure it was set correctly before putting it into place. I found that easier than having to take ram out and sliding it in after it was on the chip. If you do it that way, it should easily line up with the holes. You shouldn't have to put much pressure on the screws. If you do, that means the bracket isn't lined up correctly.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

I have a case that has the hole cut out from the back, and was able to do most of the work by myself, and I have to admit doing the retention plate by myself was really quite hard. Plus after getting them line in, I had to really jam to get them to fit in the screw holes, and then had to screw them past that point. I have an AM3 setup, so im having it push air up the top vent, and getting a side fan to vent out the air from the heavily OC'ed GTX 460.

put the fastening bracket on the heat sink and made sure it was set correctly before putting it into place. I found that easier than having to take ram out and sliding it in after it was on the chip. If you do it that way, it should easily line up with the holes. You shouldn't have to put much pressure on the screws. If you do, that means the bracket isn't lined up correctly.

I did that, and it was still scary to put in. Maybe i'm just sensitive to how much pressure im putting on it, but I was hearing weird creaking sounds as I was first screwing it in...

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I find that most of the boxes that the heatsinks come in make a pretty good stand for the motherboard to make it easier to install the bolt-thru type of cooler, set the box (usually on its side) on a table, place the heatsink upside down on the table and it should line up with the box so that you can place the motherboard upsidedown on top and line it up and bolt it on.

Good rule of thumb when tightening the bolts, always tighten in an X pattern, tighten to just snug first, then give a turn or two each and check for wiggle, when you get no more wiggle give about a half turn each and your done.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Ok this is the wrong place to put this, but I wanted to try here before I started a new thread. I got the Hyper 212+ installed and my new side outtake fan installed. All was good, I booted into Windows and started ripping a movie, just for kicks to watch the CPU temp. About 30 minutes into the rip I look at the screen and see artifacts, so I turn the screen on and off thinking that this is weird as my GPU OC has been stable for months. The screen reports no signal and I restart my computer. No signal again, so I change DVI ports and then restart and vioala, I have it back up. BUT I go back into afterburner planning on resetting the OC untill I check and it reports it back at stock settings. Any ideas on what happened? I will try my rip again and see what happens...

After I thought it through for a few I'm thinking that it is a very high possibility my PSU doesn't have enough juice for the task. But that doesn't explain why one DVI port doesn't work...

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I've cleaned the GPU and still haven't had any problems. I went back up to a 820/1640/1950 OC. I did have 845/1700/2050, but I dont want to go that far up again without knowing it wasnt my GPU. I was able to check the temps last night before it crashed and speedfan reported the blue checkmark down... So who knows what this is. If it does it again ill post.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished

That is a video card siuation.
Quit whining

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

I am not whining. Whining assumes that I am complaining over something trivial. I am not complaining, nor is what Im asking trivial to me. I posted in this section as the problem happened 30 minutes after I installed the heatsink and my GPU had been running stable for months even at my overclock. Plus I didnt want to start up a whole new thread. Stop being a pessimist and either be helpful, or don't post.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
CM 212+ is a rather arcane install.
I suggest doing it before installing the MoBo. It requires some pressure to properly seat the X-bars holding the heat sink. You need to set one screw then the opposite.
Put screws in lightly, then rotate the "screwing in".

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Np, just take your time, it's not that bad of a heat sink to install. Try putting the "X" bracket on first, it worked well for me. You move it around until it goes into place, then you'll know the correct orientation to put it on the chip. Once on the chip, I used my fingers to start the two opposing screws, then the other two. After that it's just even tightrning with the screw driver.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

I have already told you: my GPU has been going great for months, but conveniently has issues 30 minutes after installing something? Would not the logical step be to think either I did something during instalation or that the two instances are related in some fashion? And two I realize that they are two (almost) completely different systems and not related. I never said that they were, just that it seems pretty darn conincidental. And three the only reason I responded disputatiously is because you said I was whining when in fact I hate whining and was just asking a simple question. Even the post that you quoted stated that I didn't know what the problem was, and that I would post back if it happened again.

The only reason I posted here was because I didnt want to create a new thread and the fact I installed a heatsink 30 mintutes before I started having issues was relevant and info would be easier to get on the same thread.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

I put the retention plate on first too and then screwed it in diagnally at a time, and this seems to have worked a lot better than what I was doing before. Thanks for all those who helped, the CM instructions were very vauge.