Hard drive and dvd drive not working on Asrock p67 pro 3

Steel Ball

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hi there,

I'm just finishing up my first build. Everything went together O.K except for my Seagate Barracuda Sata 3 hard drive and my LG GH24NS50 Black SATA DVD-Writer.

My system is as follows:

Asrock p67 Pro
Asus 6850
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb 6.0Gb/s Sata 3
8 gb gskill sniper ram
LG GH24NS50 Black SATA DVD-Writer

I used the two sata 3 cables thst came with the motherboard to connect the Hard drive and dvd drive to the motherboard's sata 3 port. I can turn it on my computer, but the dvd drive can't open, the bios also tells me that their is no boot device, and it also tells me that their is nothing detected in all of the sata ports at all. I think that the dvd drive may be defective as no light goes on when I press it.I also have a 14 day warranty where the store I bought the mobo and everything else has a 14 day return policy which says that I may return the possbily defective mobo for an exchange, refund or credit .

Short Version
: Hardrive and DVD drive using Sata 3 cables connected to Sata 3 ports not working on Asrock P67 Pro3 and it doesn't detect both in bios and it saya their is no boot drive.

Solution
Hello,

Until you get everything working properly, put your Seagate SATA data cable in the Blue SATA_2 connector and the DVD writer into the Blue SATA_3 connector. Once everything is working properly, you can move the Segata data cable to the White SATA_0 connector on the MB. Leave the DVD connected on the Blue connector SATA_3.

This sounds basic, but have to ask. The Seagate HDD and the DVD drives also take a special SATA Power connector (15 pins) that go into the back of each drive next to the data cable for power. They can come directly from you PSU or from std Molex 4 pin power adapter connectors. Possibly those aren't connected not giving you power to the drives. Please double check.

Then, go into your UEFI BIOS to make some...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Until you get everything working properly, put your Seagate SATA data cable in the Blue SATA_2 connector and the DVD writer into the Blue SATA_3 connector. Once everything is working properly, you can move the Segata data cable to the White SATA_0 connector on the MB. Leave the DVD connected on the Blue connector SATA_3.

This sounds basic, but have to ask. The Seagate HDD and the DVD drives also take a special SATA Power connector (15 pins) that go into the back of each drive next to the data cable for power. They can come directly from you PSU or from std Molex 4 pin power adapter connectors. Possibly those aren't connected not giving you power to the drives. Please double check.

Then, go into your UEFI BIOS to make some changes. The photo images of your BIOS in the manual are blurred making exact directions difficult, but go to the Storage Settings Page and make sure the Sata 0 and 1 controllers are 'Enhanced', make sure both SATA drives are recognized, and temporarily the DVD is first in Boot order, HDD second. Once Windows is installed, that boot order can be reversed.

Hopefully that will get you going.

Solution

Steel Ball

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

as soon as I posted this question I remembered that I didn't put that sata power connectors in, but I didn't go to the storage settings to make sata 0 and sata 1 "enhanced". Thanks for the answer.