Cheap ich10r raid5 replacement

tomhardjoef

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Hi! My intel/other motherboard finally gave up the ghost.

So I need a quick cheap solution to getting my intel matrix raid5 (ich10r)
disks back up and available while I shop around and build an all new system.

Any suggestions? are there compatible expansion boards for the ich10r or must I get an intel chip set mb with ich10r for raid5?
thanks in advance.
Joe

P.S> Oh. By cheap I mean a trailing edge 775 board that I can get for as much under $100 (as little ) as possible. I have a core2duo celeron available.

A motherboard with an ICH7R or newer should meet your requirements as long as it has enough SATA ports (you didn't mention the number of drives in your RAID). Try to find a used motherboard with an ICH9R or an ICH10R that supports the type of memory that you have.

tomhardjoef

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

I got an Intel Core 2 Quad/Intel P43/DDR3/A&GbE/ATX Motherboard ,Retail
BOXDP43BF direct from Amazon for $83. It looks like Amazon is not
selling it directly but has 3rd party offers starting at $87. It has a ICH10R.

I have not tested the Raid feature yet. I have confidence it will work.

The down sides are: DDR3 memory (couldn't use spare DDR2) and no video
so I had to get a cheap PCI-X Video card for it. Only 1 P-ATA, no floppy. It has a 24-Pin power adapter but can work with only a 20 pin according to the documentation. And that does work!

I put a Celeron Core2Duo in it and that works! Plan to put a
Core2Duo 4700 in it when I have a full day free to rebuild.

In my original ASUS I am using 4 drives (no OS) partitioned as Raid 10 plus Raid 5. Even though you can do Raid 5 with only 3 drives you need the fourth if you
want to do a Raid10/5 combo.

Hope this helps.
Joe F

Recovering data from a RAID array when the controller dies and you migrate to a non-identical controller has been known to be difficult. The exact storage of control information, and striping, and so forth, is not perfectly standardized. There was a thread recently with someone who succeeded; if I find it, I will post a link.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=32&post=272740&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=3&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0