Sign in with
Your question

Graphical glitches in some games - Help!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Games
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 31, 2009 10:30:43 AM

Hi

This is my first post on this forum and I hope someone can help me. I'm pretty new to gaming and system building and am experiencing an annoying graphics glitch in some parts of some games. The anomaly appears as large translucent snowflakes slowly swirling in some parts of games and is extremely distracting. Games affected include Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Crysis, The Witcher and Call of Juarez and the effect is the same at all resolutions and quality settings. Older games such as FEAR, Far Cry, Doom 3 and Prey do not appear to suffer from this. The corruption appears in the same parts or levels of affected games and as it is not random I have ruled out overheating, especially as I have an Antec Twelve Hundred case with 8 fans.

I've embarked on a systematic programme of replacing hardware one item at a time to find the culprit causing this glitch. So far I have replaced the graphics card (Sapphire Radeon HD 1GB 4870 to Pallit Nvidia 2GB GTX 285), processor (Core 2 Quad 6600 to Core i7 920 DO), motherboard (Asus P5Q-E to Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R), RAM (4GB Corsair Dominator to 6GB OCZ Gold), cooler (Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro to Akasa Nero) power supply (Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 650W to Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W) and optical drive. None of the changes has fixed the problem. I now have a more powefull, faster system on which to watch this corruption!

I've also tried my system with a different monitor and DVI-D lead to no avail. I use two hard disks, a Velociraptor 300GB with a Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB as bach up. I've tried re-installing the operating system on each of these with the offending games and it does nothing different. I've even switched from Vista to Windows 7 RC1 and it makes no difference. Prior to reinstallation I always wipe the disks with with a program called Killdisk to get a clean start. No component is overclocked and I use AVG, A Squared and Ad-Aware for virusus etc. Drivers for motherboard, sound and especially graphics are up to date.

I'm now at my wits end as there is nothing left to change and I have enough spare hardware, none of which seems to be faulty, to build another rig.

One chap on another forum suggested my VRAM could be corrupted but it seems strange that two different graphics cards from different suppliers could have the same problem. I tried to use a video memory testing program but it did'nt seem to work with cards whose memory exceeds 512MB as both of mine do and the read me was very confusing so I gave up.

I'm now wondering if it's something simple that a newbie like me has overlooked. It wasn't until I went on a forum a few months ago that I managed to stop games tearing as I'd never heard of vertical sync!

Can anyone help?

Regards

Mag

More about : graphical glitches games

August 31, 2009 11:40:55 AM

Update to the latest driver and also there is a setting in NVIDIA Cards about Particle Physics or some thing like that which was implemented in newer games.
August 31, 2009 11:49:47 AM

I would like to see a screenshot of the corruption, it would be easier to see what kind of fault it actually is =o
Related resources
August 31, 2009 12:22:33 PM

digiex said:
Update to the latest driver and also there is a setting in NVIDIA Cards about Particle Physics or some thing like that which was implemented in newer games.

Thanks for replying. I'm using the latest drivers - I get an e-mail from Nvidia whenever a new version comes out and I updated just a few days ago. There is a setting relating to PhysX on the Forceware but the results are the same whether it is enabled or not.

Thanks anyway

Mag
August 31, 2009 12:40:18 PM

Damaged GPU?
August 31, 2009 1:42:54 PM

Strobeflux said:
I would like to see a screenshot of the corruption, it would be easier to see what kind of fault it actually is =o

Thanks for replying. I've taken a couple of screenshots using FRAPS and put them on a file sharer;

http://uploadingit.com/files/1368796_8b8j6/witcher%2020...]witcher 2009-08-30 11-12-50-78.bmp[/url]

http://uploadingit.com/files/1368685_hpi6e/CoJ%202009-0...]CoJ 2009-08-30 11-19-56-84.bmp[/url]

The first is from The Witcher with all the effects on. If you look at the tree there are a number of translucent green blobs - this is the corruption - what you can't tell from a screenshot is that they are all moving which is very distracting.

The second is from the start of call of Juarez at low resolution with all the effects off. There are a number of translucent white blobs this time and again they are swirling.

I'll just repeat that they appear at the same parts of the games so are not random which seems strange.

Thanks for your help

Mag
August 31, 2009 1:46:09 PM

tju2an said:
Damaged GPU?

Thanks for replying. I thought originally that this was the problem with my
Radeon. However that doesn't explain why I get the same corruption on the same games with my brand new GTX 285.

Thanks again

Mag
August 31, 2009 1:52:58 PM

Have you tried to run with another card? Just to make sure that the GPU is the actual problem.
August 31, 2009 2:37:42 PM

tju2an said:
Have you tried to run with another card? Just to make sure that the GPU is the actual problem.

Thanks for replying. I'm a little confused by your question. My original graphics card was a Radeon HD 1GB 4870. It was whilst using this I encountered the graphics problem. I changed it to a GeForce 2GB GTX 285 which is a completely different card and am getting the same corruption on the new card.

Thanks again

Mag
August 31, 2009 3:02:21 PM

For me it sounds like you are having other hardwareproblems. As you changed card and the problem still is, It sounds like there's something else that causes your problem.

You wrote that you changed from Vista to win7, was it still this problem while you were using Windows Vista?
August 31, 2009 4:48:59 PM

tju2an said:
For me it sounds like you are having other hardwareproblems. As you changed card and the problem still is, It sounds like there's something else that causes your problem.

You wrote that you changed from Vista to win7, was it still this problem while you were using Windows Vista?

Thanks for replying. The problem originally arose with Windows Vista and is still there with Windows 7. I think it is a hardware problem but the trouble is I've changed most of the hardware (see my original post) and the glitch is still there.

Thanks again

Mag
August 31, 2009 5:48:48 PM

This reply might not help you with your problem, but it might be worth to check up.
Last year, as I was running all games on a P4 with a graphiccard called A6600 TD, Steam( a software used for multiplaying games ) suggested me to download the latest drivers, since my current seemed to be old. but I ignored this, and the game Counter Strike Source launched and worked correctly, although I tried to update the Graphiccard drivers, and the game was tearing and had a problem too unlike your. Although, games like Age of Empires, some older games and Counter Strike( previous gaming Engines ) worked properly.

Since you've changed card, the problem should actually has been solved, but as of my experience, I can only recommend checking up that your current drivers is compatible.

Another reader might give you a better way in order to solve your problem :) 
August 31, 2009 6:59:43 PM

tju2an said:
This reply might not help you with your problem, but it might be worth to check up.
Last year, as I was running all games on a P4 with a graphiccard called A6600 TD, Steam( a software used for multiplaying games ) suggested me to download the latest drivers, since my current seemed to be old. but I ignored this, and the game Counter Strike Source launched and worked correctly, although I tried to update the Graphiccard drivers, and the game was tearing and had a problem too unlike your. Although, games like Age of Empires, some older games and Counter Strike( previous gaming Engines ) worked properly.

Since you've changed card, the problem should actually has been solved, but as of my experience, I can only recommend checking up that your current drivers is compatible.

Another reader might give you a better way in order to solve your problem :) 

I'll give that a try.

Thanks again

Mag
August 31, 2009 7:49:53 PM

Please tell us if this works, an Good luck with your system :) 
!