Sign in with
Your question

Need Heatsink recommandation for i7 920

Last response: in Components
November 22, 2009 3:57:10 AM

What is a good heatsink to get for the i7 920? I will be OCing, but not a whole lot. It is going to be the first build that I experiment with in terms of OCing. Best for the money of course.
November 22, 2009 12:49:49 PM

I can't recommend anything over the Cooler Master V8, nothing beats it except for the V10 but thats for the Extremists Overclockers. I own a V8, core i7 920 idles at 30C (Not sure under load, to scared for now until I get my case).....this i7 is running in an open crappy cooled old tower, wait until I get my HAF932, then we'll see how good those temps are. Oh and I am using Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste.
November 22, 2009 12:54:55 PM

v8 is overpriced and v10 is over rated

some of the best ones you can look into, sorted most expensive to cheapest

is
prolimatech megashadow (reqiures a seperate fan)
prolimatech megahlm (reqiures a seperate fan)
thermalright ultra extreme 1366
xigamatek baldurer
xigamatek dark knight
Titan-Fenrir-TTC
cogage true spirit
scyth mugen 2
sunbeam core contact freezer 120
Related resources
November 22, 2009 12:58:56 PM

^I disagree, maybe they are tiny bit pricy but the V8 is well worth it, I don't know how well a V10 does but it looks like the best air cooler you can get right now. V8 is amazing though, its big but it does its job damn well.
November 22, 2009 2:40:30 PM

^hmm, from those reviews, i didn't read but i looked at the charts, prolimatech looks the best however how do I know that when these temps were tested, all control variables were the same: Room temp, case, fans, fan power, thermal paste, and other things?....Either way, I give the V8 5 stars, excellent cooler.
November 22, 2009 3:19:19 PM

maybe different room temp different case but optimally setup the prolimatech's overall performance is always better anyway you cut it
November 22, 2009 9:27:19 PM

If you're not planning a hefty overclock I'd get a Cogage True Spirit - the Megahalems is a nice piece of kit but wasted a little if you're not pushing your 920
November 23, 2009 1:04:24 AM

I've got a vigor monsoon III and I love it.
November 23, 2009 2:44:54 AM

Where is the best place to get a hold of these? I notice that newegg doesn't even really carry a whole lot of heatsinks. None of the ones mentioned here at least. I was looking to get the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme. I'm not planning on pushing my CPU to its limits, but a couple years down the road who knows. I do know that I want to experiment with OCing on this build though.
November 23, 2009 7:01:52 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
^hmm, from those reviews, i didn't read but i looked at the charts, prolimatech looks the best however how do I know that when these temps were tested, all control variables were the same: Room temp, case, fans, fan power, thermal paste, and other things?....Either way, I give the V8 5 stars, excellent cooler.

actually one should look into temperature deltas - that is the best way to check the efficiency. By that you'll put the environment out of the equation. When having that in mind, obsidian86 have better standing in his point. So the coolers he mentioned get +1 from me.

also I would add IFX-14 cooler (I own one and keeps my Q9650 overclocked to 4.23 GHz) and cheep self contained watter cooling as corsair H50. I even think to get one H50 to exchange my IFX-14 to see how good it is. I like the idea of H50 because it is also a space saver... :) 
November 23, 2009 11:19:37 AM

Be careful with the Corsair H50 as it will mess with your airflow.... Space is an advantage though if you are going to be using memory modules with high heat sinks....

In my personal opinion i would go with the IFX-14 or 120 extreme 1366.... the v8 even the v10 does not match these coolers....
November 23, 2009 12:26:38 PM

Well, H50 indeed can mess the air flow, but that will largely depend on the case... and of course of exhaust fans used...

But I agree that good air cooler as IFX or Megahalem can be more robust solution.

the main reason I mentioned H50 is that it is supposed to draw cooler air from outside giving a bit of edge. while the air coolers needs to draw air from inside the case where you already have a graphic card to preheat the air...
November 23, 2009 3:00:02 PM

yip i agree but maintain airflow direction can cause a problem, the h50 is probably the cheapest & safest water cooling solution out there right now...

With minimum overclocking you are not going to see any significant difference between these coolers so in the end its up to convenience price and personal choice...
November 23, 2009 6:21:18 PM

Stupido said:
actually one should look into temperature deltas - that is the best way to check the efficiency. By that you'll put the environment out of the equation. When having that in mind, obsidian86 have better standing in his point. So the coolers he mentioned get +1 from me.

also I would add IFX-14 cooler (I own one and keeps my Q9650 overclocked to 4.23 GHz) and cheep self contained watter cooling as corsair H50. I even think to get one H50 to exchange my IFX-14 to see how good it is. I like the idea of H50 because it is also a space saver... :) 

Okay, the megalems are very good, but the CMV8 is also formidable, i just went the V8, because of one of my fav brand names for components and CMV8 looks plain sexy, especially in my new HAF932 which i should be getting tomorrow if UPS goes a bit faster with delivery. So i can migrate my i7 system into it. However, the V8 is bit to pricey in that case for its job, the megalems also look like a better deal too. Either way i really don't care because i am keeping my i7 at stock speeds and it excells for my needs plus i can replace the fan on the v8 i bet for a more powerful one and get even better cooling.
November 23, 2009 7:28:14 PM

I don't want to worry about and lapping that needs to be done. From the reviews, I read that both the Thermalright 120 and the Cogage True Spirit both need lapping.
!