Hi guys!
i have this
dell optiplex 320
1.5 gb of ram
intel core 2 duo 1.8x2 GHZ
ATI express 1100 128 mb graphic card
i had downloaded ATI catalyst control centre CCC
but after a few days i uninstalled it
maybe cuz of this my graphic cards performance became horrible.
i was able to play CS1.6 on 1400x1050 32bit colour at 100 Fps
no i can only work it on the lowest colour and resolutions like 640x480
any suggestions on wt to do
ur help will be gr8ly appreciated

Which version of CCC had you downloaded? How much was your performance affected?

The xpress 1100 seems to be an integrated graphics solution, to expect good game play from that is silly at best. If you want to game, see if you have a PCI-E 16X slot, if you do pick up a 4670, its low power and will perform significantly better.

messinovic

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
i think it was 9.8
but wen i tried to install the 9.9 (after removing the 9.8) it couldnt install
so wt ur sayin is dat all i can do is buy new g card?
i am buyin a 512mb ATI card
o ya will it b enough to play COD5 wid the specs i gave u earlier

Sounds like you didn't just uninstall the CCC, you uninstalled the driver too, so now you're on the standard Windoze drivers, which will limit you greatly.

BTW, why did you uninstall the CCC?

You need to re-load the drivers that came with the computer, and if you can't find them, then load the IGP drivers from ATi, not the graphics card drivers.

PS, Also don't focus on the st00pid RAM, get a competent card, cheap cards with lotsa VRAM SUCK !! Before you buy something, look at this article by Don/Cleeve;
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2404.html

it will provide more information on what to buy, and not confuse and tempt you with RAM figures. A good 256MB card might be 10+X better than a poor 1GB card.

A 512MB ATI card tells me absolutely nothing useful, which 512MB ati card? A 4670 512MB will be able to play on medium settings with decent FPS(40-60ish) I would expect the IGP to be able to handle about 1024x768 at 32bit color with about 30 FPS on CS1.6 so the 4670 should be a huge step up.

I would not advise anything more powerful than the 4670 however as dells generally dont come with great PSUs and you dont want to blow it.

messinovic

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
whats IGP and PSU ?
i dunno much about PCs n stuff
i uninstalled d ccc cuz it was slowing down the FPs cuz of too much concenteration on quality n not performance
meaning a 4670 will b able 2 play COD5 rite?
wt dus d APE mean by VRAM and y is he telling me not to focus on d RAM i dint say i was

IGP = Integrated Graphics Processor AKA Onboard Graphics
PSU = Power Supply Unit
VRAM = Video RAM (RAM = Random Access Memory)

Also, learning to spell/type would be very helpful.
Else i cnt unrstd wt u syn dWg

I agree it sounds like you uninstalled your display drivers.
Reinstall the Catalyst 9.8 Suite and you should be working again.
It appears support for your IGP was dropped in the 9.9 Suite which explains why it does not install.

In the CCC, you can manually adjust the quality to fit your required performance.
Under the Advanced view, go the performance tab and change the following settings:

Standard Settings = Performance
Anti Aliasing = set to 2x, check the 'Use Application Settings' box and turn off in the games menu
Adaptive Anti Aliasing = uncheck the Enable box
Anisotropic Filtering = set to 2x, check the 'Use Application Settigns' box and set to Bilinear or Trilinear Filtering in the game menu
Catalyst A.I. = Advanced
Mipmap Detail Level = Performance

It will now be running as fast as possible on your system.

Yes, a 4670 512Mb will be able to play COD 5.
It is the most powerful card I would recommend using due to your system having a low power/quality PSU.
Any more powerful card has a much higher risk of causing the PSU to fail and probably frying the rest of your system in the process.

What TheGreatGrapeApe is telling you is to focus first on the GPU and do not worry so much about the amount of RAM.
There are some really shitty GPUs that n00bs love to buy because they are loaded with tons of RAM.
You would be surprised how often someone will make a post like 'Why is my new 9400GT 1Gb 10 times slower than my old 8800GTS 256Mb? It is a newer card and has FOUR TIMES the RAM!!1!'.
Focus on quality before quantity.