Help pick my motherboard

duke44jb

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I am going to order my computer today. Trying to figure out the best configuration. It is going to be used mainly for internet browsing, some photoshop, and just for general use. I am getting an INtel Quad Core i7 2.66 GHz processor. My question is which motherboard should I go with?

ASUS P6X58D -ATX- INTEL X 58 CHIPSET
or
INTEL DX58SO -ATX- INTEL X58 CHIPSET

The ASUS cost is $80 more. Is it worth it? Which one should I get?

First, unless you're planning on doing some intense gaming or HEAVY-DUTY photo and video editing, you're building a system that is WAY overkill. I would seriously look into an AMD-based triple-core or quad-core, which should be half the cost and be more than enough for your needs.

Second, Intel boards are pieces of crap. You're basically limited to only running standard-issue low-performance parts at stock settings, and even that doesn't work sometimes. I would only get one if it was cheap and I was using it for a low-end machine to do office tasks.

Third, another thing the Asus board has over the Intel one is support for USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s, which you'll definitely want if you're building a new machine now. So in that respect, and for the reasons mentioned above, if this was the only choice I had, I'd pay the extra $80 to get the Asus.

However, you don't need a $300 board unless it's for SERIOUS gaming. If you go the AMD route, you can get a board with both of those features for less than half the price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128416

So anyway ... it's up to you, but I'd say unless you're up to something you didn't mention in the original post, there's no need to spend upwards of $1,000 on a bleeding-edge machine when you can get an amazing, almost-bleeding-edge machine for $600 or so.

TRENDING THREADS