Low FPS rate in not too resourcerequiring games

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hello:)

I got a question about my FPS in games, where in the Game World OF Warcraft I usually got about 15FPS in a wideopen area with all Videosettings to max, where my brother got almost 100, and his computer isn't as good as mine at all.

Worth to point also, a friend told me to Google up that the GPU might be set to 8x instead of 16x, but I am not familiar at all with this and I have no idea what he is talking about :kaola:

I am using GTX260 and a Q9400 775, and I am sure it has something to do with the GPU, and that's why I chose this forum :)

I can link a prinscreen if you want :)

Thanks alot, your wisdom is much appreciated! :love:

stevensl2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Go into settings and make sure that the AA and AF are turned off, to 0 or something..
I don't play WoW so I don't know how the menu looks like.. But do that and see how it works.

DeW itt right

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
For the PC-to-PC comparison angle, I'd go through the graphics options in WOW page by page with your brother to make sure all of the settings are the exact same before comparing frame rates with him. Something like different screen resolutions (in game) can make a very big difference. Just looking at the CPU and GPU you have listed I wouldn't think 15 FPS is the best you could do. I've also never played WOW either but I'm sure it's not as graphically demanding as most first-person shooters. I got very good performance out of my GTX260 in the past.

The 8x vs. 16x is regarding the bandwidth in the PCI express slot but I wouldn't worry about this. Even at 8x I doubt you'd be saturating the PCIe bandwidth. If you do want to look into this we'll need your motherboard model.

You could also benchmark your video card with Futuremark's 3DMark Vantage and compare it to other GTX260 scores online. Hope this helps...

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I am very glad you took time to read my question.

The only difference I can see is that he is using a Death Screen Effect, which only should cause changed performance while dead in-game. Also, the V-Sync is forced off in the nVidia Videosettings.

I am using a P5Q3 MB, and a pair of Corsair DDR3 RAM 2x2Gb.

I will try to benchmark the system soon, I just need to set my internet connection up again.

Thanks once more, I find your information very helpful!

PS: I'd like to find out if I am using 8x or 16x. My friend also said that the performance out of my GPU might be limited to only 50-60% if it's set to 8x.

DeW itt right

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
It looks like with that particular board, if you're only using one GPU in the top PCIe slot it's running at 16x. If you put in a second card for crossfire it'll run both slots at 8x, so you should be fine.

Both have the same size monitors, same in-game screen resolutions? What's his CPU/GPU by the way?

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I will gladly post a list with his and my specs. Here it comes:

My setup:
P5Q3
Q9400
GTX260
Corsair 2x2Gb DDR3
800W PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 ( means great cooling :) )

His Setup:
P5QD Turbo
E8400
GTS250
620W PSU

We are both having the exactly same settings and we have the same monitor model and from same manufacterer; Asus VW225N 22"

mitofi

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I assume you have done this, but if not - I suggest you try the WoW boards, even though I hear they are infested with . . . people that aren't very nice. Still - there should be a section there for performance gripes and hints.

I have played games that had uncharacteristically low FPS. Some had a problem baked into the engine. One had an issue with multi-threading (ie: ignoring cores in multi-core CPUs). But there is no way you should be stuck at 15 FPS in WoW - that is not justified - so there is an issue somewhere . . .

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I havn't tried any wow forum yet, since people writing there are mostly well-informed by the ingame handligs and some UI fixes, but when it's abot hardware, I usually go here and ask the real experts of their knowledge, since at the Wow boards, the few who knows anything at all, isn't to be compared with the guys here. I will do a post in a forum made for questions like mine and give it a try :) thanks