Networking 20 computers and 2 servers

mayankdcw

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
I have a small office with about 20 computers running on windows xp/vista. I also have 2 servers (Windows 2003 server). I have a ADSL Internet Connection that connects through a router provided by the ISP. The entire office is wired through CAT5 cables which all come together at one point. Now, my objective is to setup a network so that,
1. I have one Domain across the network.
2. I have DHCP enabled and any one of the servers should be able to assign the IPs
3. Both servers should be accessible to all the clients in the network.
4. Clients should be able to write/read files on shared folders on both servers
5. The internet connection should be made available to all clients through any of the two servers (preferably split into the 2 servers for load balancing)
6. Setup a firewall/proxy software to block certain URLs within the network for certain users. (I have a licensed copy of CCProxy)
I am a newbie and this is a startup and trying to understand what is the BEST network model (obviously LOW COST as well) that I can use here?

vibe

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
With just 2 servers your best to have one acting as the DHCP and AD server and the other acting as a Proxy - and not have them both giving out IPs.

Youll need a switch(s) for all the PCs

to act as a proxy the other server will need an additional network port, if it doesnt already have 2.

Can you be more specific with what your question is?

There are a lot of steps to setting up this kind of infrastructure - much more then can be explained in detail in a forum post - How far have you got?