5870x3 bottlenecked by 940@3.2

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I've got a PII 940@3.2GHZ, Using my Vigor Monsoon III, I can get to around 3.5 stable (maybe a bit higher)
My question is that I am currently running a 4870x2+4870 trifire, I would like to do the same thing with the 5 series, and
just switch out the cards. How bad will I be bottlenecked?

I don't plan on upgrading cpu anytime soon. In the spring I will do a new build with a 6 core Gulftown (maybe skulltrail) so
this GPU upgrade will be my last upgrade on this current build

A Pentium II is definitely going to be a bottleneck !! :kaola:

Anywhoo... on a serious note, yes almost any CPU will bottleneck three HD5870s, but the Phenom is probably already bottlenecking your current Tri-Fire set-up althought it may be more pronounced on the HD5Ks as you get into tougher games. However overall it'd likely be the same bottlenecking between the two where the only thing that the HD5Ks would improve would be your performance at extreme resolutions and extreme AA levels.

Of benefit the setup and improve back end should help make Xfire a little more efficient on CPUs, and no one (outside of NDA) knows what the Xfire on chip compositer will do to help further.
There may be some improvement, but I would suspect you will still see some limiting, and it may affect your min fps the most in areas where the CPU just can't keep up, so if at any time during high but not extreme settings you're finding choke points or slow-downs (which if you raise or lower visuals doesn't change), that likely can be attributed to the CPU and likely those areas won't change.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I just upgraded from my 386 25 MHZ 2 years ago, and now I have to upgrade my pentium II also??! WTF!!

I usually put everything up to the highest settings available, I run at 2560*1600, the only thing that I get hit on is Crysis obviously, Far Cry 2 when I hit 8XAA, and now NFS shift. I play Grid a lot, and even at 2560, I get over 100fps with everything to the highest settings.

I like to be able to set everything up to 2560, and the highest settings, and leave it at that. I guess the question is should I still be able to see an improvement over my current setup? Obviously I really don't want to put $1000 down just to have the same performance I have now. I don't really care about getting huge fps jumps, just smooth play in the few games that aren't smooth now when I throw in 8xAA.

Have you ever done anything with a Skulltrail setup Ape? My thought process is now I'm going to get the trifire 5870s, then in the springs when they release the Gulftown 6 cores, get one of those, possibly 2 for a skulltrail setup, and if I NVIDIAS new cards don't blow the 5xxx series away, I'll take the x2 card out, and get another for quadfire. I really hope they release some super thin bezels soon to run a 6 monitor setup by then.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Well, I will also admit that I am planning on doing tri-fire ( with a single 2GB 5870, and a 5870x2 4GB when they come out) I did tri-fire for the 4*** series and I loved the extra boost it gave me. With that being said, how do we all think that my i7 920 @ 4.0 Ghz will do in terms of bottlenecking ? Keeping in mind that I run at 1920x1200 with 4X AA and 16 AF minimum on all games. I'm thinking it will be there, but not too pronounced.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
No one can say now much it will bottleneck without data. You guys will all have to wait and see. I would not expect the single card configs to bottleneck anything particularly much.. while the multi card configurations will probably be a bit much unless you ahve an x58 system...but who knows.

Bottlenecking will definitely be there and more so than on micro's 2560 setup, but considering you both want to play at the higher end of the settings, then they/you should still both benefit from the increase, and like I said, if you guys are lucky, the improvements in the Xfire might reduce CPU overhead which would be a good thing for your min fps at current settings, but likely do only a little for the avg.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Thanks. Average doesn't mean as much to me as minimum though. I also hope that their new AA engine helps out a lot, as it seems going from 4x to 8x AA is where I take the biggest hit.

I plan on getting the X2 card first. I will probably order them from the egg at the end of OCT or Early NOV. I'll def post performance changes compared to the 4 series.

Yeah, I thought the original 4000 series cards started with low ram amounts just because GDDR5 was new and not abundant. By now there should be plenty, so the delay could conceivably be minimal or none between the versions. We'll know very soon though, so no since in worrying.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

I'm sorry you don't understand basic English, so far as reading it and creating it goes..

You know.. you are not fooling anyone.. We all realize that you are pretending to be a moron in order to try to illicit responses from people.. it is called trolling and it is as old as the internet. Frankly you are to even very good at it and I'm sure one of the mods will grant your desire to be banned for it sooner or later.

I feel sorry for you that the only fantasy escape you can find for yourself is to try and pretend to be a raving imbecile. Perhaps you don't have to try very hard... What a wretched existence your life must be that this is what your entertainment outlet becomes.

Back on topic. I was also under that impression EXT64. I would expect 2gb cards very early in this generation.. though perhaps at a bit more of a markup than we are used to.

Milos-stancene

Distinguished
May 22, 2008

Thank you very much
english is my 3 language
but your words explained everything... ABOUT YOU

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

:sarcastic: here we go again..

Perhaps you are not a troll on purpose.. but intelligence transcends language.. For your sake I hope you are pretending..

He showed up for the 4xxx series launch as well, seen him on xs, is really quiet over there, seems he has more respect for them than the people here.
Milos, chill dude, wait for the cards to come out.
If nVidia loses, so what?
The G300 will come out eventually, then itll be your turn