Side Case Fans making a ton of noise

thebser

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Hey guys,

So I installed 2x 120mm side case fans as intake today and they make a huge amount of noise. I took it off the side case and left it standalone and they make almost no noise. I think the problem is that there are these grills on the side case that kind of blocks the air, which makes the fans make those loud noise (drives me crazy after 2 minutes). Also, on exhaust it makes no noise as well.

This is the case and the side of it I have. Any ideas on what I should do?

haf922-side-tek.jpg

Solution

A 'damper' is any kind of weight that will damp (or nullify) the natural frequency of the side cover.Every object has a natural (harmonic) self destructing sometimes, frequency. All we have to do is to change/modify this frequency. In certain industries, it is known as 'sound deadener'.

If you have a stainless steel kitchen sink, you will find the underside coated with sound deadener. This will dampen the tinny sound of running water from the faucet.

We can achieve this sound deadening effect by...
Try a couple of things:

1) Put a speed control and turn it down to an acceptable level.
OR
2) Put some dampers on the inside of the side cover. A piece of aluminum about 4 ozs. weight attached by double stick tape will do the job. The sound is from the resonance created by the natural frequency of the fan.
OR
3) Both of the above.

thebser

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for your reply. Sorry I'm not quite sure how to do #2. Could you elaborate more as I'm not sure what dampers are? Or if there's a video or picture that could help. And aluminum as in aluminum foil or actual aluminum? Thanks!

A 'damper' is any kind of weight that will damp (or nullify) the natural frequency of the side cover.Every object has a natural (harmonic) self destructing sometimes, frequency. All we have to do is to change/modify this frequency. In certain industries, it is known as 'sound deadener'.

If you have a stainless steel kitchen sink, you will find the underside coated with sound deadener. This will dampen the tinny sound of running water from the faucet.

We can achieve this sound deadening effect by taping a 4 oz weight of solid aluminum plate or bar to the inside. I like to try and avoid steel because of rust issues. If properly painted, steel plate is ok; avoid magnets even though I have heard that there is no problem with magnets. I don't like magnets near or especially inside computer cases.

One more thing to ensure is that the side cover is not floppy due to excessive clearances. My HAF 932 left side case cover has about 1/64" slop at the top front end, but it is not vibrating. If it does, I will put a small shim to prevent it from rattling.

Shims are also effective in such instances.

Solution
What kind of noise exactly?
Could it be the fanblades are catching the mesh resulting in a horrible tickticktick sound?
Or is it the sidepanel rattling?
Put your hand on the panel whilst running to rule this out, and mount the fans on a template to gain a little more clearance for catching blades,
We need to identify whats making the noise though
Moto

thebser

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

I've done more testing and here are the results. I dismounted the fans and just letting it run on its own, there are basically no noise. When I hold the fan in hand my about 1 inch away from the side panel, there are no noise. As I go closer (without touching the panel), the noise gets louder. I think the noise becomes audible about half a inch from the panel, and gets louder from there on. When it's held against the panel, it makes pretty loud ZZZZ sound, which is unbearable.

So I think it's not the vibration problem since it makes the noise before it even touches the panel. Is it due to the grills that obstruct the airflow intake? Also, on exhaust against the panel it makes no noise at all. I added a video so you can take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kArvF7y56j8

And also it seems other people are having trouble with this as well...

http://forums.us.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=1998967

So perhaps if I can get some material to hold space between the fan and panel while allowing it to secure tightly that could work? I was looking at these things but I don't think the distance is enough

http://www.svc.com/afm02b-8.html

or what about these? I think this looks appealing

http://www.svc.com/afg120b.html

Or I was thinking perhaps I can get like 2 or 3 washers for each screw? That would add alot of space between the fan and panel but I'm not sure if it would cause vibration problems

thebser

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Problem solved! Went to Walmart and bought some rubber washers, added them between the fan and the panel and now the noise is significantly reduced! :D Thanks everyone!

Jordi VanWinkle

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013

I used some rubber washers to offset my fans by half an inch off the panel. My system is whisper quiet again. I don't know if thats kinda what you mean or not but it worked for me

fakehoo

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
I've done more testing and here are the results. I dismounted the fans and just letting it run on its own, there are basically no noise. When I hold the fan in hand my about 1 inch away from the side panel, there are no noise. As I go closer (without touching the panel), the noise gets louder. I think the noise becomes audible about half a inch from the panel, and gets louder from there on. When it's held against the panel, it makes pretty loud ZZZZ sound, which is unbearable.

Had this exact problem. Its not caused by vibration but by air racing over the roughly cut grill. Solved it by adding an air filter (stocking mod) between the side and the fan. The fan is silent again.