Gigabyte not telling the truth about mobo quality?

Berzerk100

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Recently I have started reading some motherboard PDF's from Gigabyte.
Specifically the PDF's from the GA-MA770T-UD3 (PDF link), the GA-MA770T-UD3P (PDF link) and the GA-770TA-UD3 (PDF link).

All are AM3 motherboards which ought to be suitable for the AMD Phenom II X4 series, including the 955 Black Edition version.
However, as these motherboards do not have any CPU VRM heatsinks, I wondered if they are truelly suitable for Black Edition CPU's.
Now, the PDF for the older GA-MA770T-UD3 and GA-MA770T-UD3P state clearly on page 12;
"We recommend that you enhance heat dissipation for the CPU VRM area if an AMD Black Edition is installed and ACC is enabled."

Unfortunately this advice is NOT given in the PDF for the GA-770TA-UD3.
So they must have improved the CPU VRM heat dissipation? Well, NO.
The CPU VRM is exactly the same on the GA-MA770T-UD3P and GA-770TA-UD3 boards.
If you plan on using any Black Edition CPU on these boards make very sure to have enough air flow over the mobo or it won't last long on a steady 24/7 OC.

I've contacted Gigabyte through their 'Global Technical Service' about this but unfortunately I have not gotten an answer yet.
(It takes them about 1 week for every single question....).

If you own a GA-770TA-UD3 and are planning to use it with an OC'ed Black Edition CPU, remember the Gigabyte advice that they have NOT given...

vbdino

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
What kind of memory you are using with your GA-770TA-UD3 motherboard. I am looking to find what memory is compatible with this board.

Berzerk100

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
^You should check the QVL list from Gigabyte to make sure.

Coming back to the topic on the VRM cooling, I've gotten a response from the Gigabyte Global Technical Service;

"Hello,
After checking with our related department, it seems:
- For MA-770TA-UD3 has fully support for AMD Phenom II X4 955BE base on hardware design so we did not mention it on our manual to enhance the VRM heat sink.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=3272

Unlike for the old model MA770T-UD3P it still require proper cooling for this support. http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=3257
Best Regards
"

First of all, the bitter taste of mere assumption doesn't play well with me.
After asking for a straight forward technical answer, an "it seems" doesn't bode well.
Second, Gigabyte doesn't sell any MA-770TA-UD3 motherboard. (typo probably)
Third, apparantly the hardware design for the GA-770TA-UD3 ensures that it "fully supports the AMD Phenom II X4 955BE".

Funny stuff.
I asked the question because the CPU VRM design is identical on both boards.
But one board requires additional cooling and one does not.
Thanks Gigabyte, for not clearing this up.

Berzerk100

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
After contacting Gigabyte on their "it seems" answer and mentioning I'd post their response on different hardware fora, I suddenly got a new reply within one hour...

"Hello,

According to our HW team, the MA-770TA-UD3 has fully support for AMD Phenom II X4 955BE base on hardware design so we did not mention it on our manual to enhance the VRM heat sink.
The conclusion you do not need to add a VRM heat sink for this MB.
This GA-770TA-UD3 models is now available.

Best Regards
"

While Gigabyte still does not sell any MA-770TA-UD3 motherboards, I suspect that based on the above reply, the GA-770TA-UD3 does not require a CPU VRM heatsink.
(As it doesn't have any CPU VRM heatsink, it would be difficult to enhance it).

So, for a final conclusion....
The available GA-770TA-UD3 models do not need a VRM heatsink.
Nor do they need additional cooling when OC'ing an AMD Phenom II X4 955BE with ACC.

The available MA-770T-UD3P models also don't need a VRM heatsink.
They do require additional cooling when OC'ing an AMD Phenom II X4 955BE with ACC.

The available MA-770T-UD3 models also don't need a VRM heatsink.
They do require additional cooling when OC'ing an AMD Phenom II X4 955BE with ACC.

Edit; Posts in this thread were edited to add information