Switching Motherboard in an HP Computer-how long would it take?

jamesrwright

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I have an HP Media Center A1747C. I know..prebuilt systems suck, but I was able to upgrade it to a X2 6000 processor so it is relatively fast for what I use it for now.

However, I am currently getting into photo editing and want to be able to multi-task more efficiently. Definitely looking for a quad core-not sure if I am going to go Intel or AMD

I am thinking of just switching out the motherboard and still using the HP case
It is a mid range tower case. I am assuming it would fit any similar size board.

Here is a picture of the case.

RN661AAR.jpg

Any assistance would be appeciated..
And if I do this, any suggestions on MB that will fit?

It doesn't really take that long if you get the right parts. It will likely fit a micro ATX or ATX motherboard.

Keep an eye on the front panel wiring before disconnecting it. Without a manual telling you what goes where, it could take a while to figure it all outl.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Here are specs on your PC and motherboard.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00841358&lc=en&cc=ca&lang=en&product=3356598&dlc=en

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00714578

Note that that the motherboard has a micro-ATX form - that is the size you should use for the replacement - and any motherboard meeting that specification should work.

If you replace the motherboard and get a new processor, there is a strong probability that you will also need to get new memory, depending on what the motherboard requires.

Also you should check your power supply. I did not see it listed in the specs but you should be able to look on the label to find its make model and size (wattage) and the amps on each circuit. PCs like this generally have small power supplies that don't allow for much upgrading. Going to 4 cores takes a fair amount more power than 2 cores - but if that is the only upgrade - and no graphics card- it might work.

You also need to figure out what you will do about your operating system. When you change out the mobo and CPU amd memory, you can't just start up with the old operating system on the old hard drive as those devices have different drivers normally loaded from a disc that comes with the mobo. Frankly I don't know if you can make all those changes at one time like you would with a single device, namely remove the driver before taking out the device and then installing the device and new drivers. It might require a reinstalling Windows - and I am not sure what issues, if any, you might have with the HP version of the operating system on the new hardware. Can anyone else elucidate this particular issue?

How long will it take? After you select and order the products, the actual hardware changeout should only take about an hour - maybe a little longer since this is probably your first time, assuming no issues. Issues - depending on what they are - can add minutes or hours. To that you have to take the time to install the software or otherwise deal with the driver issues, depending on what is required.

As stated on some of your other threads asking pretty much the same question over and over, check about your verison of Windows. If you are running the OEM HP version that came with the PC, It might not work with a new motherboard.
In my opinion, trying to upgrade a motherboard in a prebuild case can and usually does run into trouble, you may find stuff just won't fit, or hookup properly. It might all be okay, but honestly, if I was going to the trouble of changing a motherboard and processor, I would just start from scratch with a complete new build, and make it foolproof, and easily upgradable in the future.

jamesrwright

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Thanks for the responses. I havealready upgraded the power supply to a BFG 550 watt so it should not take me long. Maybe I will just ask a local shop to do it for me-I will give them the parts. I could do it, but I don't want to really deal with it. Work has been so busy. I would try to get a shop that I could drop it off to the night before and pick it up the next day.

jamesrwright

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Ok I was just trying to track down a good MB that can support overclocking and an AMD Athlon II X 4 630. I was going to OC to 3.5 GHZ...
I also want something that will be able to take an updated processor down the road..

Any suggestions or know of any deals?

Jim

jamesrwright

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I would probably just get 4 GB of DDR memory. I don't need a Crossfire-I don't plan on playing many games-most games that have come out have bored me. I may get the new Battlefield game when it comes out next year and play some older ones.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Here is a good basic board that will do the things you requested. Note that it uses DDR3 memory which now is about the cheapest available.

ASRock M3A785GMH/128M AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $80 AR with free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157168

This is a little better board, but it has the same basic chipset as the one above and both have on-board audio - which you can disable of course if you want to add in a card:

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128397

Here is a comparison of specs for the two:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022%201070946178%201075707619&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&ActiveSearchResult=True&CompareItemList=N82E16813157168%2CN82E16813128397