Sign in with
Your question

Question about backin up a RAID 0

Last response: in Storage
June 24, 2011 7:17:51 AM

Hello, I am building a new PC and have not dealt with RAID allot before.

I have a 120GB Vertex 3 for a main drive and I would like to have two 1.5TB WD HDDs in RAID 0 and have them backed up like RAID 1 on a single 3TB Deskstar.

I don't like the idea of a RAID 5 as it seems too risky. I just want a drive that is mirroring everything on the RAID 0 in case of a failure. I want to have 1 drive that has everything on it and can be used independently in case of a drive failure in the RAID 0, not a disk image.

So what is the best way to do this???

This is the drive I want to make the RAID 0 on.

WD1502FAEX 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

I will be using it for Virtual Machines, Games and Emulators, Movies, Music and everything else that I don't want on my SSD.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer with this.

PC Specs

AMD X6 1090T CPU
Asus Crosshair IV Formula MB
16GB Patriot Viper RAM
Vertex 3 120GB SSD
Antec HCG 900watt PSU

More about : question backin raid

June 24, 2011 12:52:43 PM

PureSync will allow you to backub/synchronise folder from the array to the single drive. Work a bit like RAID 1 but at folder level, not full drive. This prevent you to backup any unwanted file, only folder you need to.
m
l
a c 304 G Storage
June 24, 2011 1:12:53 PM

metawin said:
I just want a drive that is mirroring everything on the RAID 0 in case of a failure. I want to have 1 drive that has everything on it and can be used independently in case of a drive failure in the RAID 0, not a disk image.

It depends on what you want to get from this, and whether or not you are using a strict sense of the word "mirroring."

To the best of my knowledge, mirroring is a word that has the precise meaning of every write to one device being performed in the same way on the other device. This can be RAID1, or there is software to mirror to a remote data center by essentially having the other half of the RAID1 array be a queue, which is then sent in as close to real-time as possible to the remote data center. The queues, in theory, can survive a temporary loss of the connection.

But why have I bothered you with this pedantic definition? Because what you asked about is backing up a RAID 0. Real-time mirroring is not a backup. It does give you security against a single spindle failure, but not against such issues as an exploding power supply, a bucket of water dumped on the computer, or malware that deletes your files. These disasters will destroy the data in both halves of a (local) mirror pair, and data will still be lost.

So if you want your machine to have two copies of every byte, to survive the loss of one drive, RAID1 will serve your purpose. If you want to do backups, which will allow you to fall back to a previous state, recover files that were corrupted, and recover from physical or malware damage to the entire system, you have to go in another direction and do backups. For backups, I strongly recommend that the backup drive not be in the same machine, or even in the same room. You can do hourly or even continuous backups to a NAS device in another room in your house or office. You can do daily backups to removable drives and keep them in a fireproof safe. I recently posted a long rambling on backups somewhere in these threads.

So: What exactly do you want to accomplish with backups or RAID1? And thank you for reading all of this.
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2011 1:35:53 PM

WyomingKnott said:
It depends on what you want to get from this, and whether or not you are using a strict sense of the word "mirroring."

So: What exactly do you want to accomplish with backups or RAID1? And thank you for reading all of this.

I am speaking about a local back-up in the PC itself in case a drive in the RAID 0 fails.

I may one day back-up online, but not now and not everything, so I am just looking for something like a RAID 1, only the drive that is being mirrored is a RAID 0 onto a single HDD.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!!!
m
l
a c 304 G Storage
June 24, 2011 3:36:07 PM

metawin said:
I am speaking about a local back-up in the PC itself in case a drive in the RAID 0 fails.

I may one day back-up online, but not now and not everything, so I am just looking for something like a RAID 1, only the drive that is being mirrored is a RAID 0 onto a single HDD.

OK, then you can't do it in the chipset level. I don't think that you can build, at that level, a RAID1 volume where one leg is a RAID volume.

The easiest way to accomplish this would be to build the RAID0 at the chipset level and use Disk Mangler to mirror the two 3 TB volumes. Actually, the easiest way would be to buy another 3 TB drive and RAID1 the two 3 TB drives at the chipset level!
m
l
June 24, 2011 9:11:48 PM

Even if you could do a mirror of a RAID 0 array on a single, then this will negate the speed advantage of the RAID 0 array as an array is as fast as the slowest drive.

That's why a software solution is best suited for that. the folder is mirrored and watched for change. as soon as a changein the folder is detected, the mirror is automatically updated.

That how I do thing on my bootable array with single drive to backup important folder. I use puresync, as it is free for personal use, but other solution is available.
m
l
!