Sign in with
Your question

Noctua NH-D14 - Intel i5 2500k - OCing problems.

Last response: in Overclocking
November 8, 2011 10:29:13 PM

With such a cooler I expected 4.7 to be a breeze and 5.0 my final stop.But, I was able to OC to 4.5 with fixed voltage and 4.7 with auto voltage(stable with tests) but I was afraid to let the 4.7 on auto so I set it on fixed (1.385) but it failed to boot, I had to clear the CMOS.I tried various voltages, even 1.450 but it failed.

Can I have some opinions? what am I doing wrong? My MOBO is Gigabyte Z68XP-UD5.

Thanks..(Bios is latest version so outdated guides do not help me)
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 8, 2011 10:35:50 PM

Maybe you've reached the limit of that particular chip.
November 8, 2011 10:37:30 PM

So low? I wouldn't even want to have a nightmare about that.
Related resources
November 8, 2011 11:06:50 PM

Well, I can't even get 4.7..
November 9, 2011 12:13:37 AM

considering you didn't even list your temps, i'm scratching my head as to why you are pointing blame at your nh-d14?
November 9, 2011 12:23:28 AM

I'm not, just that in OC threads, there's always someone saying "without proper cooling you couldn't OC to those values anyways".I just wanted to get rid of that.
November 9, 2011 12:24:38 AM

herro, der be more den 1 variable in teh equation.
November 9, 2011 1:20:17 AM

when you raised the vcore (when it failed to boot), did you also change the cpu pll voltage?
November 9, 2011 1:46:59 AM

No, I only used vcore.
November 9, 2011 2:07:08 AM

you need to check what your pll is set at , more than likely will have to bring it down a bit. a lot is dependent on the quality of your mobo too. on a maximus board you can goto 4.8 by just flipping a few switches. other boards need much more configuration, or just can't max out the cpu's potential.
November 9, 2011 2:16:27 AM

It was auto.So when PC fails to boot I must lower pll?
November 9, 2011 2:28:33 AM

try to make more effective use of your replies...you say it was auto, ok, what was it set at? different motherboards have different auto values. do you have load line set to extreme? there is a sticky guide to all of this in the main area here.
November 9, 2011 2:39:31 AM

It was 1.300 if I remember correctly.I've seen the thread, it says pretty much this "if computer doesn't boot, flash cmos".No tips, no advices.Load line was not modified, can't remember the deafult notion tho.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 4:39:23 AM

5ghz@1.42 volts max, set to auto so it all downclocks
no pll overvolt
will go faster with more volts
heat has become my barrier
rock stable
love my cherry 2500k

ive heard the argument that auto kills cpus, but it NEVER goes over 1.42 volts and idles at 1 volt. personally i think its more dangerous running 1.42 volts through a 32nm cpu CONSTANTLY. ill take my auto
November 9, 2011 10:50:34 AM

System memory multiplier 16.00
Cpu 100x47
Multi-Steps Load Line Level 6
Cpu VCore 1.37
Cpu pll auto
Dram voltage 1.560
Ram timings 9 9 9 24
Internal pll overvoltage enabled
Real time rati changes in os disabled

Those gave me a stable 4.7 OC at 70 ish temp.Whenever I try to 4.8 it boots, loads windows then freezes and blue screen.I even gave it 1.39 voltage but it just won"t work.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 12:35:45 PM

careful with the pll overvolt, that seems to be what deads these cpus.
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2011 1:01:12 PM

I wouldn't put anything on auto personally. Since you know 1.37v vcore is stable, just change the PPL voltage to the recommended max. If that doesn't boot then up the vcore.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 1:02:21 PM

gmcizzle said:
I wouldn't put anything on auto personally. Since you know 1.37v vcore is stable, just change the PPL voltage to the recommended max. If that doesn't boot then up the vcore.

what about the energy savings? what about the life added to the cpu by running unclocked and undervolted 95 percent of the time? while i agree with not using auto on certain features, i wouldnt disable it entirely. for example, set the pll overvolt, no auto there. quite dangerous.
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2011 1:08:26 PM

neon neophyte said:
what about the energy savings? what about the life added to the cpu by running unclocked and undervolted 95 percent of the time? while i agree with not using auto on certain features, i wouldnt disable it entirely. for example, set the pll overvolt, no auto there. quite dangerous.

It might be different for every mobo, but mine undervolts automatically even though I manually set the vcore. I disabled Intel's speedstep for underclocking because I remember it gave some annoying lag right when it went from idling to full speed.
November 9, 2011 1:53:50 PM

Ok, so you guys seem both well informed but argue about the pll, whats the setting that wont't damage the cpu if I run the pc 24/7? Il set it to that and see how well it goes.
November 9, 2011 2:41:43 PM

My pc just froze and then bluescreen while watching a movie, the cpu was at 10%, the blue screen contained something like this: "Your second - disn't get enough power" - Im forgetting that word, like the 2 things that dual processors have.

Any causes/splutions?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 3:05:37 PM

Enable pll overvoltage and set cpu pll at 1.55
Did you say it was 1.3 before? Cause thats really low.
Pll doesn't affect stability by decreasing or increasing it.
Lowering just helps with temps. 1.3 is too low though.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 3:07:16 PM

Give us your complete settings.

That hapens when your vcore drops too much on low usage.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 3:09:56 PM

neon neophyte said:

Auto doesn't always mean energy settings. You can save more energy by manuall selecting your settings. I recommend setting everything manually. If you enable all the c states the cpu will drop voltage in idle and automatically save energy. Don't set c states to auto. People say that c states reduce stability and it used to be but its not the case with 2500k.
November 9, 2011 3:16:51 PM

Quote:

That hapens when your vcore drops too much on low usage.

Cpu 100x47
Cpu VCore 1.37
Cpu pll auto
Dram voltage 1.560
Ram timings 9 9 9 24
Real-time ratio changes in os disabled

This is pretty much everything I modified, everything else is default.If you need any field information, just ask and I'l post it.
November 9, 2011 3:18:58 PM

Cpu vcore is 1.380, I was told that its recommended to keep it under 1.400.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 3:23:02 PM

AlExAlExAlEx said:
Cpu 100x47
Cpu VCore 1.37
Cpu pll auto
Dram voltage 1.560
Ram timings 9 9 9 24
Real-time ratio changes in os disabled

This is pretty much everything I modified, everything else is default.If you need any field information, just ask and I'l post it.

Lets first try getting high cpu as possible. Disable ram xmp, set to standard, set to 1333mhz, and set voltage to default(1.5v?). Disablle LLC and set vcore to normal. Use dynamic vcore instead. First set it to say +1.160v. (remember positve). Set PLL to 1.8v, set vtt to 1.05v, and set vccsa to 0.925v (all defaults. Disable turbo boost, disable realtime os changes, enable all c-states, and set cpu multi to 4.5ghz. Boot up and prime95 blendfor 1 hr, and small fft for 1 hr.
November 9, 2011 3:53:10 PM

Can't find LLC and how do I enable all c-states.Apart from that, done all.
November 9, 2011 3:54:20 PM

It will not boot with your settings, starts up a few secconds and shuts off.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 3:55:36 PM

AlExAlExAlEx said:
Can't find LLC and how do I enable all c-states.Apart from that, done all.

LLC is multi steps load line. c-states is in the same page as the realtimeos changes and the turbo boost. C-states are the c1e, c3,c6, and etc.
November 9, 2011 4:03:46 PM

It still won't boot.Starts up a few secs and shuts down.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 4:31:34 PM

OH! Up the dynamic vcore. *facepalm* that should help.
What dynamic vcore does is add the voltage to the NORMAl vcore set for that cpu multi.
Since my mutli is so high I needed +1.17v. Since your multi is lower you should set that dynamic vcore higher.
November 9, 2011 4:34:12 PM

Well, how high? I don't want to over-do it.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 4:39:09 PM

Set 1.2v and see if it boots. check the vcore in windows.
November 9, 2011 4:47:30 PM

It does not boot with 1.2v
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 4:57:05 PM

Keep raising
November 9, 2011 4:59:37 PM

1.2 is max, I can't raise more.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 5:01:53 PM

Wait wait.. drop drop it. drop it to 0.2v
November 9, 2011 5:25:31 PM

It still does not boot with 0.200
November 9, 2011 5:48:19 PM

What I don't get is why can't we go from my base(4.8Ghz stablish) and fine-tune it, instead of starting from scratch?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 6:25:42 PM

You can set multi to 4.8ghz. I was hoping to start lower so that we could see what problem there was but I guess I'm failing to be helpful. :( 
November 9, 2011 6:28:41 PM

No, my point is.You are doing it with dynamic thingie while I do it with normal Vcore, why do you prefer the dynamic?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 8:29:18 PM

AlExAlExAlEx said:
No, my point is.You are doing it with dynamic thingie while I do it with normal Vcore, why do you prefer the dynamic?

I used to use the multi step load line but in idle the voltage is as high or even higher than in load. Problems that also occur with LLC is voltage spikes. If vcore is at 1.3v under heavy load and suddenly the load dissapeared the voltage spikes to say 1.5v than drops back down to 1.3v in idle. This is bad for the cpu. By using dynamic vcore, vcore stays very low in idle (down to 0.9v) and only goes up during load. It saves wear on the cpu especially with high overclocks since the cpu won't be using high voltages all the time.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 9:44:02 PM

AlExAlExAlEx said:

Too much conflicting information, do this don't do that, try the guide in my sig at this point you don't have anything to loose. :hello: 
47X for me took 1.385v
48X for me took 1.415v

Going beyond 48X with an air cooler, even the Noctua I don't recommend!

However; "Danger Will Robinson!"

49X for me took 1.445v
50X took 1.475v
51X took 1.505v
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 10, 2011 12:01:51 AM

listen to him ^^^^
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 10, 2011 2:05:01 PM

Quote:
5.1 took 1.485 volts for me.
Although every cpu and setup is different ofc.

Man you do have a good one!

With the proper cooling you should easily reach 5.2!
November 10, 2011 2:10:32 PM

I just can't, I've been in BIOS for the last 4 hours.I can't finish the windows loading animation with any OC higher then 4.7.I've fine-tuned it and it seems pretty stable.Unless someone has some suggestions I'm going to be pleased with 4.7.
Also, Ryan.Your tutorial is kinda useless for me, it has Asus(I think) names and I have a Gigabyte MOBO, while some functions may be self-explanatory, some others aren't.So I can't properly follow it.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
November 10, 2011 2:23:04 PM

AlExAlExAlEx said:
I just can't, I've been in BIOS for the last 4 hours.I can't finish the windows loading animation with any OC higher then 4.7.I've fine-tuned it and it seems pretty stable.Unless someone has some suggestions I'm going to be pleased with 4.7.
Also, Ryan.Your tutorial is kinda useless for me, it has Asus(I think) names and I have a Gigabyte MOBO, while some functions may be self-explanatory, some others aren't.So I can't properly follow it.

Actually it's an ASRock, no tutorial is useless you just have to figure out what terminology applies, meaning the same setting but different names, it would be great if motherboard BIOS were all required to use the same terminology.

I can test to try and help overclockers as much as I can within reason, but no one is expected to buy every motherboard on the market and create a guide to cover every single BIOS configuration.

Quote:
This guide is written assuming you are familiar with your BIOS and how to maneuver, change settings, and Clear CMOS when needed.

My guide requires some basic BIOS background knowledge, and familiarity to be able to understand the same feature capability but different names from different companies design teams.

My guide has the information to accomplish everything it was written to cover as many have already discovered.
November 10, 2011 2:38:47 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Actually it's an ASRock, no tutorial is useless you just have to figure out what terminology applies, meaning the same setting but different names, it would be great if motherboard BIOS were all required to use the same terminology.

I can test to try and help overclockers as much as I can within reason, but no one is expected to buy every motherboard on the market and create a guide to cover every single BIOS configuration.

Quote:
This guide is written assuming you are familiar with your BIOS and how to maneuver, change settings, and Clear CMOS when needed.

My guide requires some basic BIOS background knowledge, and familiarity to be able to understand the same feature capability but different names from different companies design teams.

My guide has the information to accomplish everything it was written to cover as many have already discovered.

I didn't say that your guide is useless itself, just useless to me.
!