Sign in with
Your question

No seagate warranty

Last response: in Storage
June 24, 2011 8:55:57 AM

I purchased a 160gb sata hard drive from a local store with a 5 year manufacturer warranty in 2008.

recently the disk died, as the store it was purchased from is no longer trading an rma was opened on seagate website and am told that it's not a manufacturer’s warranty because it is oem and seagate are not responsible. apparently they made these disks for another company and seagate cannot legally deal with warranty. This was not made clear to me, had this been the case i would never had made the purchase.

it's only a 160gb drive so i can live with it but anyone purchasing a seagate drive should wary weather the warranty is worth anything.

More about : seagate warranty

a c 82 G Storage
June 24, 2011 12:27:57 PM

You probably had a better deal because you bought an OEM drive. When you bought it, did you ckeck the warranty status of your drive? Don't blame Seagate; blame the store that sold you an OEM drive without making it clear to you that it wasn't under warranty.
June 24, 2011 12:58:04 PM

GhislainG said:
You probably had a better deal because you bought an OEM drive. When you bought it, did you ckeck the warranty status of your drive? Don't blame Seagate; blame the store that sold you an OEM drive without making it clear to you that it wasn't under warranty.

how do you know i had a better deal? it was under warranty, when i check on seagate site it says that it's oem and that i should contact the place where i purchased it - it doesn't say that the warranty has expired. my invoice clearly stated that it was a manufacturers warranty, which they all have.

had i returned it to the shop, were they going to repair it themselves? no! they would send it back to seagate. seagate is just trying to wriggle out of it.
Related resources
a c 82 G Storage
June 24, 2011 1:15:26 PM

If you didn't get a better deal, then the shop had a higher profit margin by selling gray market components. If it's an OEM drive, then the shop couldn't send it back to Seagate; all they could do is replace it. Unfortunately Seagate are not responsible for what's written on your invoice.

You should read this: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/qual/warrantyCovera...
June 24, 2011 1:32:36 PM

GhislainG said:
If you didn't get a better deal, then the shop had a higher profit margin by selling gray market components. If it's an OEM drive, then the shop couldn't send it back to Seagate; all they could do is replace it. Unfortunately Seagate are not responsible for what's written on your invoice.

You should read this: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/qual/warrantyCovera...

you should read this:

i just tried to create an rma for another seagate 'oem' drive which i purchased not long after from a company called ebuyer - this is a reputable company. when i tried to create the rma this is what it said:

Seagate 320GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache – OEM

For warranty repairs please contact Seagate direct. Telephone No : 00-800-4732-4289 Web : http://www.seagate.com/www/en-gb/

Unfortunately the return period for this item has now expired. Please seek advice from the manufacturer of the product, in most cases they will deal with your warranty claims.

a c 82 G Storage
June 24, 2011 2:07:38 PM

Where did you try to create the RMA? Seagate or eBuyer?
June 24, 2011 2:26:37 PM

ebuyer
a c 82 G Storage
June 24, 2011 2:33:55 PM

In this case you knew up front that you were buying an OEM drive that could be returned to ebuyer within a specific period. What happens when you check the drive' status with Seagate?
June 24, 2011 3:21:57 PM

what difference does it make? the drive is advertised with a 3 year manufacturers warranty under 2 years ago.

i can't understand why you're defending seagate under any circumstances - do you work for them or something?
a c 82 G Storage
June 24, 2011 5:12:52 PM

ebuyer won't provide warranty because the return period has expired, but but they indicate that you should contact the manufacturer. If you don't contact Seagate, how do you know that Seagate OEM drives sold by ebuyer are not under warranty? OEM drives can be bought with or without manufacturer's warranty.

I'm not trying to defend Seagate (I don't have Seagate shares), but I understand OEM drives warranty.
June 24, 2011 5:25:15 PM

GhislainG said:
ebuyer won't provide warranty because the return period has expired, but but they indicate that you should contact the manufacturer. If you don't contact Seagate, how do you know that Seagate OEM drives sold by ebuyer are not under warranty? OEM drives can be bought with or without manufacturer's warranty. .

Absolute rubbish!

GhislainG said:
I'm not trying to defend Seagate (I don't have Seagate shares), but I understand OEM drives warranty.

no you don't!
a c 82 G Storage
June 24, 2011 5:31:17 PM

You're very upset with Seagate, but you should instead be upset with the shop that sold you an OEM drive.

At this point you assume that ebuyer also sold you a drive that isn't under warranty, but you don't want to check it's warranty status with Seagate. Why?

I ran into the same issue with Western Digital when I bought a slightly used OEM drive and it failed.
June 24, 2011 5:38:39 PM

GhislainG said:
You're very upset with Seagate, but you should instead be upset with the shop that sold you an OEM drive.

At this point you assume that ebuyer also sold you a drive that isn't under warranty, but you don't want to check it's warranty status with Seagate. Why?

I ran into the same issue with Western Digital when I bought a slightly used OEM drive and it failed.

your case has absolutely no comparison to mine in both cases mine were brand new drives - your obviously getting mixed up thinking that oem drives are used or flawed in some way. that's not the case.

the reason why ebuyer are directing me to seagate is that its a manufacturers warranty - simples!!!

a c 82 G Storage
June 24, 2011 5:52:39 PM

I know the difference between OEM and retail. I wrote that I bought a slightly used OEM drive, not that OEM drives are used or of a lesser quality. All servers and PCs that we buy include OEM drives that are covered under the system warranty, not by the drive manufacturer.

Since I also own a few Seagate drives, I just checked one that I bought from Newegg last year and here's the status:

End User

Serial Number Seagate Part Number Warranty Status
9VK03XXX 9FZ134-300 In Warranty
Expiration 01-Jul-2013

This drive is covered by a Seagate warranty.

If your drive was bought from a reputable shop, then it should be under warranty. You certainly lose nothing checking if it's underwarranty. Worst case would be that ebuyer, unlike Newegg, sell OEM drives with no manufacturer warranty.
June 24, 2011 6:15:51 PM

End User

Serial Number XXXXXXXX

Seagate Part Number 9FZ162-301
In Warranty
Expiration 07-Nov-2013 In Warranty

this is an oem drive

are you satified now??

a c 82 G Storage
June 24, 2011 6:40:10 PM

I'm satisfied because you originally assumed that the OEM drive bought from ebuyer also wasn't under warranty. Now you know that ebuyer buys drives with manufacturer warranty while the shop where you bought the one that's defective didn't (which also is the reason why I presumed that you had a better deal).
June 24, 2011 6:52:10 PM

no they all have manufacturers warranty.
a c 82 G Storage
June 24, 2011 6:59:59 PM

Glad to know that your 160 GB drive is under warranty.
June 24, 2011 7:43:30 PM

GhislainG said:
Glad to know that your 160 GB drive is under warranty.

thanks, that's very helpful, you should read back on this thread and see how you've chopped and changed your oem theory and wriggled like a little worm each time i've added something.
June 24, 2011 8:29:34 PM

Hate to wade into the middle of an argument, but sometimes I can't resist.

What Seagate is doing appears to be underhanded. Rincal's 320GB drive purchased through ebuyer is covered by warranty by SeaGate. However, SeaGate will not honor a mfg warranty on an drive purchased through whatever out-of-business company he purchased from (sorry if I missed the name...you should include the name of the company). He states "my invoice clearly stated that it was a manufacturers warranty, which they all have. "

Either SeaGate is reneging on a warranty because they know the retailer can't provide records to back up the purchase claim - so they can claim that rincal "photoshopped" the invoice, or that the retailer stole the drives from the back of a truck, or that the retailer was falsely advertising.

In any case, SeaGate should man up, honor the invoice, and provide an RMA - really what does it cost them? If the retailer was still in business they might be able to sue that retailer for false advertising of a product and/or discontinue selling through them. But regardless, the customer made a good faith effort to have the drive under warranty and did nothing wrong. The drive probably cost $10 to fabricate and $5 to ship. $15 is nothing to the bottom line of a company and is a small price to pay for good (or neutral) PR. It's not like people are going to come out of the woodwork and claim an RMA on a Samsung OEM drive now...
a c 82 G Storage
June 24, 2011 8:34:30 PM

I'll admit that I'm confused. In your original post, you wrote "recently the disk died, as the store it was purchased from is no longer trading an rma was opened on seagate website and am told that it's not a manufacturer’s warranty because it is oem and seagate are not responsible." and later on who wrote "no they all have manufacturers warranty."

I honestly thought that you went back to Seagate's RMA site and found out that your drive is under warranty. If not, then why did you write that all OEM drives are under warranty?
June 24, 2011 8:45:00 PM

As I understand it, he said that all HIS OEM drives were under warranty, or at least that was the impression he had when he purchased the units. One of the 2 seagate drives he thusly purchased (distinctly marked OEM on the retailer's site) is listed as being under warranty by seagate. The actually broken drive, purchased in a similar manner but from a different retailer is not officially under warranty by SeaGate's count, but he has a receipt that says otherwise.
a c 82 G Storage
June 24, 2011 8:55:49 PM

mpagel said:
As I understand it, he said that all HIS OEM drives were under warranty, or at least that was the impression he had when he purchased the units. One of the 2 seagate drives he thusly purchased (distinctly marked OEM on the retailer's site) is listed as being under warranty by seagate. The actually broken drive, purchased in a similar manner but from a different retailer is not officially under warranty by SeaGate's count, but he has a receipt that says otherwise.

That's also how I understood it until the OP wrote that they all have manufacturer's warranty. To me it meant that all of his OEM drives did which should have been good news.
July 5, 2011 6:21:54 AM

I buy and sell ALLOT of DIRECTV HD DVRs and Seagate drives are JUNK. They fail in less then a year and Seagate claims the OEM drives arent covered. Well Directv says call Seagate and Seagate says call Directv. I have three receivers with bad ST3500312CS`s and like I said, they`re not even a year old. OEM drive or not,,,Seagate should replace a defective drive if its still within their MFG`s warranty time frame. Even the Seagates in some of the older DVRs are noisy and have to be replaced. In all the years I`ve been repairing DIRECTV DVR`s I`ve replaced 2 Western Digital Green Caviars. Stick with Western Digitals. Three drives that have failed that are all the same models and less than a year old in one week tells me they have a flawed drive :fou: 
July 27, 2011 4:18:08 AM

Another failure today (7/26/11) of another ST3500312CS !!!!
!