Is it possible to have raid 0 and raid 1

NigelEHardy

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Hello,
I have replaced my dead PC with a new one.(dead MB) The new one has 5 hotswop HDD bays (Thermaltake Level 10 GT)I have 2 x 250gb HDDs in raid 1. The old PC had 2 x 200gb HDD's in raid 0. Is it possible to put the old drives in the new PC and run them in raid 0, with the new ones in raid 1 ?? This is so that I can salvage the data on the old drives. Many thanks Nigel

NigelEHardy

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011

Thanks GhislainG, However, that is my problem, different chipsets ! I am just working on installing VirtualBox, then run Ubuntu inside that. I have tried putting the HDD's in 2 of the spare bays, they are seen, and shown as healthy, but the only option is to reformat. I am hoping that Ubuntu will recognise the raid 0 and set it up in the VM. Do you think that would work ? Do you advise anything else, that may be a better way to get around this ? Regards Nigel

You usually have to connect the drives to a system having the same chipset (Intel or AMD) to activate the RAID 0 and then backup its contents. I wouldn't have taken the risk of connecting them to a system having a different chipset. I doubt that Ubuntu will recognize the RAID 0, but I'm not familiar with it. It might work if it was a software RAID, but probably not if it was created within the BIOS. What are the old and the new chipset?

NigelEHardy

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
New Chipset is P67, the old one I'm not really sure as I think it is the 3rd MB in 10 years, the old machine is a bit of everything, that was why I splashed out on a new system when the MB went west ! Ubuntu does have software Raid, and I think it reads the metadata at the end of the drive so it knows all it needs to set up the array, well that's what I'm hoping. Although I am not sure how it will deal with the Raid 1 that is already on the new PC.

NigelEHardy

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
I'm just downloading the newest version of Ubuntu, very slowly by the looks of it! I will post how it works out, If it all goes wrong, then back to the drawing board and hope that you or someone has some good ideas on how to resolve the issues.

NigelEHardy

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
It was a "VIA" Raid Tool that it was set up on, however, it was so long ago that I really don't remember much else, and of course I can't access anything as the PC is dead. And wouldn't you know it, the back up on an Iomega external drive 500gb, is unreadable !! Mind you, I suppose that's my fault as it has just sat there and the back ups have been done regularly and I have never had to access them until now, and now I am unsure why they are not accessable, possibly because of the new operating ystem

NigelEHardy

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
OK, Downloaded VirtualBox and updates, and Ubuntu 11.4. VB would not install, no matter what I did. Then I tried MS Virtual Machine, downloaded and installed, but this is not interested in Ubuntu, it does not like it. I dont know why VB would not install, it said the MS installer is not installed correctly at first, then it said I don't have sufficient privileges, then it said installation of the program is forbidden !! Contact your administrator ! ?? Hmmm, I suppose I am talking to myself these days. Yes, the backups were done through windows but with Norton backup. I'm still not 100% sure what is going on there, although I have not pursued that line too much yet

You could only if the new PC uses the exact same RAID controller as the old one. These controllers are all proprietary.

This is a good solution for what you're trying to do.

Create an image of the data on your current RAID 0, then plug the drives into the new controller and restore the image to the newly create array.