Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Optimal heat sink orientation

Last response: in Overclocking
November 9, 2011 12:10:02 AM

I have an corsair A70 in a push pull config, currently facing the rear exhaust. but was wondering if it is better to have the heatsink in a push pull configuration oriented towards the top exhaust fan?

the rear exhaust fan is a 120mm coolermaster sickleflow rated at 69 cfm, while the top exhaust is coolermaster 200mm fan rated at 110 cfm

The cpu fans are also 120mm sickleflows.

The two front fans are 120mm fans rated at 110 cfm each, however they usually are only at 70 to 90cfm.

The case is a coolermaster storm enforcer (essentially a haf 912)

There is also a gpu that exhaust directly into the case.

a c 293 K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 2:35:52 AM

Where your air flow comes? because if you have a front fan on your case keep the cooler blowing air to the back side of your case.
Score
November 9, 2011 5:36:29 AM

Doesn't really matter which way it blows. I'd use one of the two fans to blow cool outside air into the heatsink.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 12:20:53 PM

Personally I find exhausting up and out to be the most effective.

Case airflow is important. front and side fans should be intake, rear and top fans should be exhaust. (In most cases)

Heat rises naturally, and with a bigger fan and more CFM on top, it just makes sense to sent the heat from the CPU straight out of the top.
a c 183 K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 12:29:06 PM

East/west is the best imo.
No need to change it.
If you're not convinced try north/south.
Do a before and after with CoreTemp or whatever.
Score
November 9, 2011 2:02:34 PM

davcon said:
East/west is the best imo.
No need to change it.
If you're not convinced try north/south.
Do a before and after with CoreTemp or whatever.

That's what I was thinking about doing, but I am pretty lazy, so I was just curious if there was a universal gold standard on fan orientation. However, it seems to be dependent upon each individuals systems.
Score
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 2:05:40 PM

Quote:
That's what I was thinking about doing, but I am pretty lazy, so I was just curious if there was a universal gold standard on fan orientation. However, it seems to be dependent upon each individuals systems.

Yep. If you are satisfied with your current setup, no reason to change it. I was stating my preference above. As long as your HSF is pointed at an exhaust and not back into the case, you'll be just fine.
Score
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 3:13:53 PM

It depends on your HSF, case, fans, airflow, etc. The only way you'll know if there is any difference is by testing. In some cases there is no difference and in others maybe 2-3C.
Score
November 9, 2011 5:46:57 PM

I was thinking that if i pointed the heatsink to the top exhaust fan which is rated at a higher cfm, it would be a better thermal design due to the fact that heat rises. Its simple logic based off of simple physics. So i'm thinking along the same lines that blade is.

It makes sense in my head, but like most peeps have stated the only way to know for certain is to try it out.

Thanks for the clarifications and responses.
Score
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 5:49:02 PM

Yep, Seems we are thinking alike.

The only way to know for sure is to try it out!

Score
November 9, 2011 5:53:28 PM

blade061188 said:
Yep, Seems we are thinking alike.

The only way to know for sure is to try it out!

to lazy, will when I have to change the thermal paste, later down the road.

Score
November 9, 2011 5:53:44 PM

Best answer selected by thesnappyfingers.
Score
a c 293 K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 6:57:11 PM

This topic has been closed by Saint19
Score
!