PNY GTX 280 - No info/review?

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Hi, I'm new to these forums! Since I've decided to make a few upgrades on my comp, I thought I start tuning into forums to update my knowledge, and it seems this site can really help me on that.

Anyway, recently I picked up a PNY GTX 280 (still being shipped). Usually, I'll google for reviews on video cards, but this particular GTX 280 is picking up little to no information on the card. Only about two sites gave me some decent information but with little benchmarking information. I'm more interested on people's personal experience with this card (or any other PNY branded card) instead of reviews that just uses stock benchmarks as a review. So what are people's opinions on PNY cards? If anyone can direct me to some extra information or provide any information, it'll be gladly appreciated!

the GTX 275 is a die shrunk version of the GTX280 with slightly less memory but higher clock speeds, the GTX275 does quite well at 1920x1200, you can find a variety of benchmarks for it in the charts section of this site, the GTX280 will perform slightly worse but will generate a fair bit more heat.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Thanks for the replies. So hunter, am I better off getting a GTX 275 than the 280? I'm running resolutions 1900x1200 and higher. I was planning to pick up one card right now and wait for the prices to drop. I picked this one up fairly cheap already but I know the prices are ready to drop.

Also, do anyone else have info on more recent PNY cards? I used to own an older one also (6800GT) but I'm not entirely sure how they stack up nowadays.

Yeah get a GTX275 if you can return the GTX280, they tend to be a lot less expensive and perform a tiny bit better. Try to get one from BFG or XFX, or one of the eVGA ones with the lifetime warranty assuming they arent much more expensive than those with normal warranties.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I currently own an XFX card. I was afraid that the PNY was just an OEM slapped with the PNY label. I guess the entire XLR8 label doesn't really mean much either. Hopefully I can return this card then. If not, I'll try to sell it before the prices drop any lower.