Sign in with
Your question

Help with Windows XP install

Last response: in Systems
August 31, 2009 8:47:12 PM

I'm sure this has been answered many times before, but I just can't seem to find it by doing a search. I am getting ready to install Windows XP on a computer for my kids. I had to buy a new hard drive and copy of Windows XP since the old hard drive was bad. I don't have any of the drivers or software that originally came with the computer. My question is this: Once I install Windows XP onto the hard drive what do I do next? Will XP automatically look for drivers or do I need to manually install them? I have found the drivers on the HP website as well as the Intel site for the chipset. If I need to install them manually, will I be able to access the internet from this pc to download them, or will I need to burn them onto a cd beforehand? I've never installed a fresh copy of Windows without having the drivers on a restore disc.

Any other suggestions would be helpful as well.

The system is:

Compaq Presario SR1503WM

Motherboard - ASUS P4GV-LA Guppy-GL6E
Processor - Celeron 340 (P)
Chipset - 845GV
Memory - Currently 768mb but I have 2 x 1GB PC2700 DDR ram to install

Regards,
AZFlying

More about : windows install

August 31, 2009 9:06:14 PM

See that you have a cd, usb-stick or maybe even a floppy with the chipset drivers and the network drivers. Install windows, then install the chipset drivers, then the network drivers.

From then on just download the other drivers and install them,

enjoy.
m
l
Related resources
August 31, 2009 9:48:52 PM

Easiest way ------> Download ALL drivers from the above post, and put them on a USB flash drive.

After you install Windows XP on a fresh hard drive, you will need all of your system drivers. You will need to manually install every one of them, as your system installs, it will then automatically prompt "Found New Hardware". I would make sure to re-boot after every installation of each and driver. Please post more if you have any other questions, or problems.
m
l
August 31, 2009 10:39:10 PM

I appreciate all of the help and that makes it very easy to understand. I will make sure to reboot after every driver install.

When should I do the Bios update? Does it matter in what order I install these drivers?

Thanks,
AZFlying
m
l
August 31, 2009 11:33:27 PM

excellent advice above!

repeating:

chipset drivers first

network drivers next

yes: re-boot after each driver update

you'll need to activate Windows before
you can access Windows Update

Windows Update may update some
of your drivers for you, automatically

Just examine Device Manager
to see what devices still need drivers,
after Windows Update reports
no more downloads available

the ASUS website typically archives
all system software under "Downloads"
for that motherboard

GOOD LUCK!

MRFS
m
l
August 31, 2009 11:57:26 PM

you should probably do the BIOS update before you even attempt the reinstall, BUT, if you're not having any problems with the current BIOS, it'd be better to just leave that alone.. .
m
l
September 1, 2009 7:39:32 AM

I second not updating the bios unless you have a very good reason for it.

If a bios update fails, chances are you won't be able to solve it without spending money,

just trying to spare you from some very annoying situations.
m
l
September 1, 2009 12:42:29 PM

The BIOS is probably the only thing that you only need to update if you're running into problems. I haven't seen (yet) a case where a performance increase was brought by a BIOS, usually it either fixes something or increases compatibility with processors.
m
l
September 3, 2009 11:52:20 PM

Ok...I thought the install was going along a little to smoothly. :(  I was going to do the install on the new hard drive but I realized that I bought the wrong type of drive so I am using another drive. This drive had a copy of Linux on it, so I was hoping the Windows XP Home install would wipe it out.

I got through the Windows XP install and was able to install the Intel Chipset driver. The trouble started when I tried to install the NIC driver and the Intel Graphics driver. I'm pretty sure the issue has to do with the hard drive letter. Usually the primary hard drive is c: but this install made it I:

This is how it configured the letters:

Removable Disk: C
Removable Disk: D
Removable Disk: E
Removable Disk: F
DVD/CDRW: G
Patriot (USB Drive): H
Local Disk: I

Now when I went to install the Intel video driver I got another error. It went through the first part of the install but after it restarted I got this error:

Windows No Disk
Exception Processing Message C 0000013 Parameters 75b6bf7C 4 75b6b7c 75b6b7c

I am right to assume it has to do with the hard drive letter? I didn't do any of the Windows updates yet and wasn't sure if that would help. I am using Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3. I was able to connect to the internet so I can download drivers if necessary.

Any suggestions? Is it possible to change the drive letters if that is the problem.

Thanks,

AZFlying
m
l
September 4, 2009 12:00:23 AM

Are you trying to boot with an usbstick still in the pc ?

If so, remove it and try again.
m
l
September 4, 2009 2:21:45 AM

Thanks guys! The usb drive was causing the error. After that, the rest of the install went smooth.

Thanks again for all the help.

Best Regards,
AZFlying
m
l
!