Forgotten (or corrupt?) bios password - Thinkpad T30

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 17, 2004 1:10:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

A friend has an IBM Thinkpad T30. She put a "complex" bios password and now
can't remember it, (although she remembers the two ideas which inspired it,
apparently!) Hours of trying likely combinations have drawn a blank.
Perhaps it has somehow been corrupted. Anyhow, she's stuck.

Is there an alternative to shipping the machine to a service centre with
proof of ownership? It's entirely legitimately owned, but it would be good
to save the cost and delay...

--
####################
## PH, London

Get a password removal tool off ebay, they are around £12 and work very well
check the list of machines it does but i think they do tpads
HTH
"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
> A friend has an IBM Thinkpad T30. She put a "complex" bios password and
now
> can't remember it, (although she remembers the two ideas which inspired
it,
> apparently!) Hours of trying likely combinations have drawn a blank.
> Perhaps it has somehow been corrupted. Anyhow, she's stuck.
>
> Is there an alternative to shipping the machine to a service centre with
> proof of ownership? It's entirely legitimately owned, but it would be
good
> to save the cost and delay...
>
> --
> ####################
> ## PH, London
> ####################

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 17, 2004 2:57:14 PM

Thanks!

--
####################
## PH, London
"nigel h" <nigeldotharveyatbaesystemsdotcom> wrote in message
> Get a password removal tool off ebay, they are around £12 and work very
well
> check the list of machines it does but i think they do tpads
> HTH
> "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
> > A friend has an IBM Thinkpad T30. She put a "complex" bios password and
> now
> > can't remember it, (although she remembers the two ideas which inspired
> it,
> > apparently!) Hours of trying likely combinations have drawn a blank.
> > Perhaps it has somehow been corrupted. Anyhow, she's stuck.
> >
> > Is there an alternative to shipping the machine to a service centre with
> > proof of ownership? It's entirely legitimately owned, but it would be
> good
> > to save the cost and delay...
> >
> > --
> > ####################
> > ## PH, London
> > ####################

a b D Laptop
May 17, 2004 3:32:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message

> Is there an alternative to shipping the machine to a service centre with
> proof of ownership? It's entirely legitimately owned, but it would be
good
> to save the cost and delay...

2 seconds Google came up with lots of result

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-...

Try it.

Good luck.

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks, Tony - I'd Googled extensively but hadn't thought of using the word
"disable", which was more productive than "lost" or "forgotten"! It seems
the Power-On password is quite easy to reset - the IBM hardware manual
contains the instructions. Thanks again.

--
####################
## PH, London
"Tony Sutton" <Tony@hypertony.co.ukNOSPAM> wrote in message
> "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Is there an alternative to shipping the machine to a service centre with
> > proof of ownership? It's entirely legitimately owned, but it would be
> good
> > to save the cost and delay...
> >

> 2 seconds Google came up with lots of result

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-...

> Try it.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
>
> - Tony Sutton
> - http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!
> "Attila the Nun: A simple girl pledged to a life of brutality."

a b D Laptop
May 17, 2004 8:53:10 PM

> Thanks, Tony - I'd Googled extensively but hadn't thought of using the
word
> "disable", which was more productive than "lost" or "forgotten"! It seems
> the Power-On password is quite easy to reset - the IBM hardware manual
> contains the instructions. Thanks again.

No problem, do keep us updated with this.

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!
The number watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.