Is this a full Water Cooling Kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Maybe its just me, but your link isn't working? Regardless, you can get some relatively cheap CPU watercooling kits (like the H60 and H80 that only cool the CPU, and XSPC also offers some full kits), it's normally more advisable to build your own loop for customizability and better results, though it obviously costs more.

andypearce

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hmm, thats strange, it's working for me. Anyway thanks for your help :)

What components would I need to purchase to build my own Water Cooling system for my CPU?

Thanks

Andy

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
You'd need the following depending on what you want to watercool

A CPU Waterblock

GPU Waterblock/(s) multiple if you're running sli/xfire)

A Pump to push the water around

A Reservoir (not necessarily needed, but highly reccomended for bleeding the loop)

Fittings

Tubing

Radiators to dissipate the heat

Fans to cool the radiators

But first you'd need to give us an idea of your system specs, cpu, psu, gpu, case etc and your budget.

EDIT: I think you were looking at the Antech Kuhler 620 right? That kind of setup is simply to cool a cpu alone,w ithout including gpus. They work well if you only want to cool the CPU, but you'd need to make your own essentially if you wanted to include gpus in your cooling.

Fanbars

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
To answer your question, thats all you need. I have one very similar! Keeps my CPU ice cool, but if you want your entire PC cooled by one, its goona cost you about 200-300$ for all the piping, radiators etc.

beenthere

Distinguished

REALLY? Not unless you are using a chiller with ice... ;)

andypearce-

As rubix_1011 stated it is a Closed Loop Cooler only for your CPU. It's a simple and complete CPU cooler.

I do not personally recommend these CLCs as they are thermally inefficient compared to good HSFs, are a poor value, can be noisy and they can leak destroying hundreds of dollars in PC hardware. IMO a decent HSF serves most people well and is a better value without the risk of water leaks but it's your choice.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#INTELHEATSINK

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Those coolers are decent, but don't perform much better than good air coolers in most instances. They simply look 'neat' and even though the CPU block/pump is compact, you still have to mount the radiator somewhere dictated by the pre-existing tubing length already configured.

They typically don't leak in the vast majority of installs, but like any liquid cooling device, there is always room for error or manufacturing flaws. I'd say you are less likely to develop a leak with one of these over the initial install of a watercooling loop, but a water loop is less likely to leak over the course of time due to usually-better-designed components. This is the beginner's form of bragging 'I have watercooling, see?'

I just don't really think they are worth the money when they cost more than good air cooling and perform around the same...that is really their only major flaw.

Delirious788

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Edit Removed the Quote! 4ryan6

Actually beenthere, has a good point...The self-contained-CPU-only water coolers are on par with a decent heatsink, so it becomes one of those things, where its not saving you a ton of room in the case compared to a huge decent heatsink, and its not getting better temps especially for the noise, so why take the chance of leaking and ruining components.

But yes that is all that you need to water cool just your CPU and nothing more.

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

He does have a point that the self contained water coolers aren't much better than air cooling, but the chance of leaking if properly installed is virtually none. I only replied because he makes a habit or trolling the water cooling section.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
He and I have had a discussion on this point of view. I asked if he could put together some information to be posted as part of the sticky as a FYI to LCS cooler owners as to the downfalls and problems as long as it contained viable information along with links and supporting data (not simply links from the Corsair 'Problems' forum.)

There are a great many people using these kinds of coolers, and many have modded them into a make-shift 'loop'. I don't really support it, as you would be better served building an actual loop, but a couple guys on our forum have done it. There are also LCS cooler clubs on most WC forums that members using Corsair or Antec LCS coolers are a part of...much like there is a giant Rasa kit following as well.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I agree with your point. He does have some basis to his argument, but if you are going to come into a watercooling thread and try to convince people it's 'bad', you'd better have some ammunition handy to support your bias. I agree- you could easily say that overclocking is just as damaging long-term to hardware, but we aren't arguing that here...we're addressing the questions, FAQs and helping inform newer users on the benefits, functionality and fun of watercooling.

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

which is why I don't do it.

@Homeboy2 I deleted your comments regarding beenthere, wasn't anything wrong with his post in this thread, if you bring problems over from other threads you're just asking for trouble, besides a personal insult it also throws the thread off topic.

This is a warning not to do that anymore. Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.