Sign in with
Your question

System startup/shutdown

Last response: in Motherboards
February 19, 2010 10:39:06 PM

Hi,

I have a friend with a system that has problems turning on and off. At the moment, I don't have any information on the components in the system, but I'm hoping there might be an explanation based purely on the symptoms.

When turning on the power supply, the system fires up by itself. Most of the time, however, it doesn't post. No beeps, nothing. 1 in about 6 times it will boot properly, meaning, power supply turns on then it takes the switch on the front of the system to turn it on. It goes through POST and all is well.

When using the XP shutdown feature it will shutdown, but immediately boot back up. When using the switch on the front of the case to turn off it will stay off.

I've swapped out all the parts and they aren't a problem. I've replaced the CMOS battery as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Wes
a c 78 V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
February 19, 2010 11:22:33 PM

It sounds like your friend's BIOS settings for starting the computer is POWER-ON after POWER-OFF; Change the setting to POWER-OFF after POWER-OFF. The setting's actual wording may be a little different.
February 20, 2010 5:32:47 AM

Thanks for the response, treefrog. The BIOS settings have been reset and I would imagine that the default bios settings would not have this option set to POWER-ON after POWER-OFF. Also, that does not explain the random inability to start at all. The majority of the time when the switch on the power supply is turned on the fans will all fire up and stay running, but the system will not post, just stays idle. This, to me, does not seem like it could be a setting. A setting would give the same result consistently. The system turns on properly approx. 1 of 6 times. Any other ideas?
Related resources
February 20, 2010 2:23:14 PM

Turn off the PSU, disconnect the cable that connects the power and reset switches to the MoBo, and then turn on the PSU. Does the PC turn on almost every time now?

Replace your friend's PSU with yours. With all the cables connected properly, does the PC turn on almost every time when you turn on the PC?
February 20, 2010 5:49:35 PM

I've swapped out the PSU with a known good one and I still had the same problem, but I didn't try booting with the switches unplugged. I'll try that next. Thanks!
February 27, 2010 3:17:08 AM

FunSurfer said:
Turn off the PSU, disconnect the cable that connects the power and reset switches to the MoBo, and then turn on the PSU. Does the PC turn on almost every time now?

Replace your friend's PSU with yours. With all the cables connected properly, does the PC turn on almost every time when you turn on the PC?

Disconnecting the power and reset switches did nothing. The problem remains. Motherboard is an ASUS P5E-VM. Any other ideas?
!