Should i get the overclocked version?

G

I'm looking to buy a new PC and have decided on http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Hurricane.html I'm leaving everything that comes as standard, the only thing I cant decide is whether to get the i5 overclocked which they do for no extra cost. Please dont reccommend I get the i7, i cant afford it with the graphics card etc that I want.

Obviously the overclocked machine will be quicker and I believe the PSU and fan selected on this unit is fine for overclocking (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Is the overclocking worth the potential shorten lifespan of the PC/ potential problems overclocking has? I've been abit put off as my current PC is overclocked and I've had to return it 3 times for PSU/ motherboard failures, can't be 100% they were caused by the overclocking though!

I guess answers maybe more opinion than fact, thats fine I just need a little guidance :)

In case it makes a difference to your answers I use my PC for gaming, wow and FM mostly but I try out new games too. Dont use it for anything overly fancy like video/picture editing but it's usually left on for around 8 hours a day

Thanks

Please note that the ability to OC a cpu is inherent in the motherboard and the quality of the voltage controls, a cheap mobo will not OC as well as a quality made motherboard. Stay away from any maker that uses OEM, Jetway, ECS, Biostar. As a general rule I usually stick to using Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte, EVGA, and Supermicro motherboards.

If the Chillblast uses the same motherboard in the non-overclocked version that is in the overclocked version, then IMO get the non-overclocked version and OC it yourself. If the non-OC version has a cheap or OEM motherboard, then it may not have the same BIOS options/controls to allow OC'ing, or may not have high quality voltage controls/regulators/capacitors.

Your overclocking errors may be due to poor voltage controls or an under-powered psu, but being that you didn't list what make/model your mobo or psu is, it's hard to say.

OC'ing only shortens the life span of a cpu if there is poor cooling or poor case airflow. Heat is the enemy of a cpu. So, the idea that an OC'ed cpu has a shorter life span is a bit of a misnomer. As long as the cpu has a quality heatsink and the case has good airflow, then an OC'ed cpu will last just as long as a non-OC'ed cpu.

As an example, I've been running by i7 920 OC'ed @ 4GHz (in my sig) up from a stock 2.66GHz for 24/7/365 since I built it 20 months ago. The only reason I ever shut it down or reboot is when I am away from home for more than 2 days or for system/hardware updates. So far have to have any hardware related issues.